# Moding a KRS-2100 to put the CO2 tank on the outside.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen that one but I'm afraid it will be to long. I haven't drilled and measured to see yet.

I spent a few hours working on the kegerator this weekend. Like @stonebrewer I used an oscillating tool to remove the ribs. I have one similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWELL-S...orded-3-5-Amp-Oscillating-Tool-Kit/1000039771

It's a tool that was gifted to me. I don't think I would have ever purchased one for myself but since I've had it I have found so many things to use it for. There are so many little jobs that I've made simple with this tool. Anyway...

In the pics below you can see how it ripped right through the ribs. I used a coarse wood but and set it to the lowest speed. I also attached a picture of the metal bracket. For that I changed over to a metal bit and chewed right through it. I decided to use "speed tape" instead of caulk. (Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O9R4K7O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) It's rated for cold temps and works in high humidity environments. It was a little work getting it to wrap the ends of the ribs but I think it looks good.

I still need to drill a hole to get the CO2 tank outside. I've almost talked myself into using a couple of grommets for the hose instead of an MFL bulkhead adapter. It may not be as clean of an install but I don't think it would look bad either. I've used grommets for hose in a jockey box build and they worked really well. I also haven't tried to fit two sanke kegs either. I'll report back when I finish up.

IMG_20170311_184433631.jpg

IMG_20170311_184454992.jpg

IMG_20170311_163743591.jpg

IMG_20170311_170603918.jpg

IMG_20170311_171439076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the stuff. Be careful working with it because it can cut your fingers. I wear gloves when I'm using it.

Jorb: Brilliant!! I have a couple of rolls of that I used for other projects. I think I will tape over the caulking cuz it looks a lot better!! Thanks for the update!

BTW, I never used a bulkhead adapter for my CO2 hose. I think it is overkill. I have had my rig like this for years with no problems. I just drilled the hole so that it was a really tight fit, put some keg lube on the CO2 hose, and slid it in. No leakage and no issues with damage to the line.

Success! I got the CO2 tank moved outside the fridge last night. I started the hole with a small metal bit from inside the fridge. Then I opened it up with a larger bit until I could fit a step bit in. From there it opened up to 7/8" (the size of my grommets). The grommets are a snug fit against the hose. As you can see there are now two sanke kegs in the fridge. Before removing the ribs they would fit but the door would not stay shut. With the extra little bit of room it is perfect. Now I need to work on a two tap tower and order some nice faucets.

IMG_20170314_194818380.jpg

IMG_20170314_192118821.jpg

IMG_20170314_192230405.jpg

IMG_20170314_193156284.jpg

Beautiful! Enjoy that second tap bud! I know I am loving having another one after waiting all these years...why? I think I was scared to ruin the rig and I was being a bit lazy.

Oh, one other tip. See how that drain hole is about 1/4 inch off the bottom of that dip? I drilled that out a bit more and I have less ice damming than I used to...

Cheers!

It's a fine line between being inspired by someone, and following someone off the edge of a cliff! Hopefully I managed the former, thanks to the tips and ideas from here. I was going to just experiment a bit with the Dremel tonight but this is the kind of job you probably should finish once started. I captured a few photos to try and add to what's already been shown.. close ups of what it was like to cut into, of the metal bracket on the right, of my Dremel (really a Lowes own brand), and of the final three Corny squeeze!

I tried to cut off the plastic and peel it away, but that maybe wasn't too smart because it tended to pull off chunks of foam from underneath, whereas the Dremel could perhaps have more smoothly done this. And I still had to pass over with the Dremel to smooth out after the plastic was removed anyway.

I'm leaving the taping to another day. It's in the 20s farenheit tonight here and my garage will be cool enough for a while I expect, plus I'm not sure the plastic liner is super important anyway. But most of all I'm just too exhausted for finishing that part tonight!

Thanks again for the inspiration and tips and info!

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

It looks great. All it took was stonebrewer jumping off into the void and we've all gone over the cliff with him.

I'm leaving the taping to another day.

I think the plastic is more of a moisture barrier than anything. I'd tape it up just to make sure that no water gets into the lining.

So we are all a bunch of beer drinking lemmings, eh? :D:D

I agree on the plastic being a moisture barrier. I think this particular kegerator is pretty simply designed, and thus was pretty much what I wanted for my needs, both the drinking and tinkering ilk. Cheers and enjoy the plunge!!

PS - love them shiny kegs!!

Ha shiny keg #3 was brand new. I have 4 taps and storage for 5 kegs now. My friend thinks I should turn the levers for tower into a triple tap but I'm not sure... that would be more money and time. He also suggested a nitro tap which might be a good "one day" idea.

I wish I could remember but I think I paid $250 for this kegerator, from a floor sale at BJs (like Costco). Has been a great deal.

PS makes sense about the tape and moisture. Will get it taped up by the weekend.

My friend thinks I should turn the levers for tower into a triple tap but I'm not sure... that would be more money and time.

Check out the earlier part of the thread on making a triple tap using cheap PVC piping. That is what I did and it was really cheap to do. Of course, I already had a couple of extra Perlick faucets laying around, so that made it a lot cheaper. :):mug:

Ok, I’m going to bring this thread back to life. First of all, this thread rocks. HBT is amazing because of users like all of you! So helpful all the time!

I'll ask my questions up front with the back story to follow:

1. How's the Customization holding up nearly a year later? Are the ribs and caulking/tape leaking at all? Any mildew problems?
2. Can someone please tell me which MFL bulkheads were used for gas line? I would buy the MFL bulkhead adapter but they are $18 and i don't feel like spending $54 just for three adapters!

I'm bringing this one back nearly a year later becauae this KRS-2150 kegerator came up on Craigslist and I think I’m going to buy it tomorrow for $150. Seems like a good purchase. Mostly because my current keezer is rusting like crazy on the inside. It’s not going to last much longer. I already dremmeled away (what i thought was all the rust) and sprayed it with an anti rust inhibiter paint followed by a white epoxy appliance spray paint. Here i thought it would last. Didn't make it 2 years and the rust is back and more pissed than ever!

Anyways, I appreciate the post because I just expanded my current keg and tower to three taps. So this kegerator needs to work with (2) standard corny kegs 8.5" DIA and (1) torpedo keg - 9.25" DIA. I plan to bring the CO2 to the outside of the fridge and bringing in all three lines separately. I have a manifold regulator on the gas already.

Thanks,
Lorne

Customization is holding up well. Mine gets daily use and I have had no issues. Very happy with having capacity for three kegs as I am often finding myself with three or more beers in the pipeline. No mold or other issues with the rib removal.

I did not use the bulkhead adapters...I cut a hole the diameter of my gas line and put a manifold on the inside, which made the most sense at the time. It can be a pain to turn off/on the gas at the manifold with kegs in the way, but to be honest I rarely do that. I cut the gas off at the tank when not "charging" my tanks. Now that I ferment and carbonate in the keg, I rarely use gas at all...

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

Success! I got the CO2 tank moved outside the fridge last night. I started the hole with a small metal bit from inside the fridge. Then I opened it up with a larger bit until I could fit a step bit in. From there it opened up to 7/8" (the size of my grommets). The grommets are a snug fit against the hose. As you can see there are now two sanke kegs in the fridge. Before removing the ribs they would fit but the door would not stay shut. With the extra little bit of room it is perfect. Now I need to work on a two tap tower and order some nice faucets.

Hey Jorb,

What is that 3M product you used on the side walls?

I’ve taken the plunge! Bought this bad boy with 3 large kegs for $150 on Craig’s! Returning the kegs for $30 each to my local liquor store to make it $60 in the end. Boo ya!

I’m concerned though, I have two regular corny kegs and one torpedo keg. I’m concerned I’ll need to buy a third regular keg and can’t refrigerate the torpedo keg since it’s a larger diameter. We’ll see.

Already started to cut so no turning back now!
IMG_1518235953.325108.jpg

Ok all ribs are cut out! Now I need to clean it all up. Then I think I will caulk it and sand smooth. I think I may spray the inside with an epoxy spray that is used for refinishing tubs and sinks. Make it nice and smooth in there!
IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9706.jpg
IMG_9709.jpg

Chi Company sells three different bulkhead shanks, which is what these things are called. They allow you to "pass gas" (sorry) through a bulkhead--keezer collar, refrigerator side, etc.

https://www.chicompany.net/index.ph...dqepjoh8a3q7g0&keyword=bulkhead+shank&x=0&y=0

I've used the 4" bulkhead shank on two keezers, as shown below. I've also used a couple of the 2 7/8" shanks on my ferm chamber, one to allow me to get carbonation gas from regulator to quick-disconnect inside the ferm chamber, and another to allow me to move fermentation gas outside the ferm chamber to jars that harvest it and act as an airlock.

The 2 7/8" shanks barely fit going through the side of the ferm chamber if I took off the black rubber washer. But they fit. :)

You can see the silicone line coming from a second ferm chamber below to the airlock jars, which is how I do the ferm gases coming from the camo refrigerator.

WORD OF CAUTION: If you use these, make sure to get the small nylon flare washers to seal the connection or you'll have a leak. Get the smallest one in that link. Also, get a few extras. If the person installing them is fumble-fingered these can easily be dropped or fall out of the fitting. They'll bounce and end up in an inaccessible area if they are dropped. Don't ask me how I know.

k7.jpg
k11.jpg
k4.jpg
newsetup7.jpg
newsetup5.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, there was a third thing. I removed the temperature controller tonight and adjusted the screw to get it colder. There is a great thread on HBT that talks about how this is done. I turned it several turns in a counterclockwise direction and it appears that it is keeping my beer colder than the 40-42F degrees it was. We will see over time if it is where I want it to be (around 36-38F).

Hello Stonebrewer,

Do you happen to have a link to that forum thread for modding the temperature? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Thank you!!
Lorne

Well, I finally go to trying to put my kegs into this fridge after cutting all the ridges off and caulking the insulation and paining the entire inside with "Tough as Tile" epoxy spray paint (it's used to re-coat tubes). I have (2) of the draft brewer corny kegs and (1) torpedo korny keg.

I was surprised to see the Draft Brewer kegs don't fit side by side without the ridges!?! What a sad day to come and find this out :( See the pics.

Do any of you guys have any ideas to get these to fit? I created a wood shelf that allowed for it to hold my kegs so when I opened the door they wouldn't fall out (see pic) and it works great. Only thing, is my door doesn't shut now :( Should I add some wood framing to make the fridge "deeper"? Do you feel that would work? Kind of like other do on a chest freezer? Maybe something like this? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-fridge-fermentation-chiller-project.62517/ Is this fridge even capable of cooling the space this large? Should I just count my losses and buy a different fridge?

Thoughts? I'm pretty bummed I spent this much time on it and it turns out it's all not going to work now!

Thanks,
Lorne

IMG_9883.jpg IMG_9884.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I finally go to trying to put my kegs into this fridge after cutting all the ridges off and caulking the insulation and paining the entire inside with "Tough as Tile" epoxy spray paint (it's used to re-coat tubes). I have (2) of the draft brewer corny kegs and (1) torpedo korny keg.

I was surprised to see the Draft Brewer kegs don't fit side by side without the ridges!?! What a sad day to come and find this out :( See the pics.

Do any of you guys have any ideas to get these to fit? I created a wood shelf that allowed for it to hold my kegs so when I opened the door they wouldn't fall out (see pic) and it works great. Only thing, is my door doesn't shut now :( Should I add some wood framing to make the fridge "deeper"? Do you feel that would work? Kind of like other do on a chest freezer? Maybe something like this? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-fridge-fermentation-chiller-project.62517/ Is this fridge even capable of cooling the space this large? Should I just count my losses and buy a different fridge?

Thoughts? I'm pretty bummed I spent this much time on it and it turns out it's all not going to work now!

Thanks,
Lorne

View attachment 561920 View attachment 561921

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but it sure looks like the wooden shelf is what's causing the problem. Cut it off so it doesn't protrude past the edge of the refrigerator.

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but it sure looks like the wooden shelf is what's causing the problem. Cut it off so it doesn't protrude past the edge of the refrigerator.

The shelf is not the problem. The door closes fine when there’s no kegs in the kegerator. The shelf is cut intentionally to fit inside the door so the keg is not hanging off when the door opens. So there are no problems with the shelf.

Issue is I’ve cut the ribs off the side walls and resealed everything. Then when I try to put my two corny keg next reach other they do not fit because of the rubber base being too wide. I need maybe another half an inch or less. The third should fit in front just fine. But with the two back kegs not sitting side-by-side I don’t have room for my third. I think I may have to just extend the door out so I get a deeper fridge.

It must just be the angle at which the pic is taken because the keg on the right looks like it's not sticking out past the threshold.

Sorry, let me be clear. Two kegs fit just fine. It’s the third keg that won’t fit because the back two kegs will not fit side-by-side. I was trying to do the same thing the other posters on this thread did.

Sorry, let me be clear. Two kegs fit just fine. It’s the third keg that won’t fit because the back two kegs will not fit side-by-side. I was trying to do the same thing the other posters on this thread did.

OK, got it.

As I look at that pic, even if the two draft brewer kegs fit side-by-side, it doesn't look like there'd still be enough room for the third keg.

OK, got it.

As I look at that pic, even if the two draft brewer kegs fit side-by-side, it doesn't look like there'd still be enough room for the third keg.

It will. I confirmed it with cardboard diameter cutouts. It’s close though! I just forgot to account for that rubber base!

One other thing, I plugged the fridge in last night and it only got to 59F so far. What the heck!? Can’t anything work the first time!? I may just have to resort to buying a new fridge and convertingto Kegerator :( wasted time and effort on this one!

It will. I confirmed it with cardboard diameter cutouts. It’s close though! I just forgot to account for that rubber base!

One other thing, I plugged the fridge in last night and it only got to 59F so far. What the heck!? Can’t anything work the first time!? I may just have to resort to buying a new fridge and convertingto Kegerator :( wasted time and effort on this one!

Wasted? No! Think of all you've learned! :)

Wasted? No! Think of all you've learned! :)

Good thinking. Pint glass is half full!

Plus this fridge was luckily free. I got 4 empty kegs and the connector with it. My liquor store gave me credit for more than I bought it for!

Here's some picks, I am currently in the middle of running the lines outside of the kegerator lol

View attachment 173866

Can I ask a favor? Can you please send pictures of your T shape tower mods? I’m making one now and just realized that the center hold won’t work with my faucet bushings because the tower is directly behind it!!?

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_1523331439.293152.jpg

IMG_1523331465.151152.jpg

Thanks,
Lorne

To all who are trying to fit three kegs in this Kegerator. I cut out all my ribs and resealed. Then I tried to fit my Draft Brewer open single handle cornies side by side. They didn’t fit because of the slight rubber bump at the bottom. Rather than cutting the rubber etc I thought, I’ll just make a collar. Well I did that. Then Morebeer has a sale for 10% off corny kegs for Easter. I bought two slimlines. They are about 1/4” narrower than standard cornies.

They got like a glove! I already had one standard torpedo that is short and fat. So two slims and one standard torpedo keg fit and my collar was taken off! Good thing I didn’t add any foam or anything to my collar yet. Hope these pics help.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Next all I need to do is put my triple tower on and drill three holes for my gas lines.

Thanks for the great thread!
Lorne

View attachment 392784
Quick question, where did you get that rubber washer that is in the hole to feed your gas line? I am curious if I need one so the drilled hole doesn’t cut my hose?

Thanks,
Lorne

That's a grommet, and if you're running naked gas tubing through a sheet metal hole it's a good idea to use one.
Or, you can install a 1/4" mfl-mfl stainless bulkhead like this and use swivels on both ends...

04C03287.jpg

Cheers!

That's a grommet, and if you're running naked gas tubing through a sheet metal hole it's a good idea to use one.
Or, you can install a 1/4" mfl-mfl stainless bulkhead like this and use swivels on both ends...

04C03287.jpg

Cheers!
Thanks, but I'm trying not to spend $10+ on these bulkheads. As nice as they are! I have 3 lines to bring in the back because I have a double regulator. One has a Y-Splitter on it. So I don't have a manifold inside the kegerator. I bought some rubber grommets on amazon I hope to install them tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks,
Lorne

Here's some picks, I am currently in the middle of running the lines outside of the kegerator lol

View attachment 173866

Hungry4Hops,

Can you help me with a parts list for how you made your Tap Tower? I'd like to make a T like that. I bought some Black Round PVC and then realized I can't tighten down my taps!? Can you help point me in the right direction for what to buy at Home Depot or Amazon?

Thanks,
Lorne

Latest posts

Back