Modifying Ed Wort's Haus Pale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
So I was searching the forums that feature summit hops. I've only found one that seems to feature it with good reviews. I would like to take the hop schedule from that smash recipe and incorporate it into Ed wort's haus pale ale recipe.

Which is:

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

THIS:
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 18.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 16.3 45 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 4.8 15 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 3.0 5 min.
1.00 oz. Summit Whole 18.00 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 0.0 Dry Hop

INSTEAD OF:

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

I have both Cascade and Citra available if needed. I have not had a chance to use the summit though and really interested in trying it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Have you had any beers that are prominently Summit? Might be worth checking out as that is not the most popular hop in the world.

I used Summit in my most recent IPA and it was downright fantastic. I'm not sure I'd go with it alone though. For bittering, definitely, but not sure about the late additions on summit.

Personally, since you have cascade available I'd use that for late additions without a second thought. It seemed to go very well with summit.

This recipe is great as it stands. I'm sure you can completely change the character of the beer through modification. I tried it with cascade, chinook, and amarillo. It's good, but not as good as the original. With my hop choices, it seems like a dry hop with cascades would have worked well. I didn't think that with the original, it tasted like an APA should taste. But hey, try it. It might come out superb. Then you can post the recipe.

First off, Ed's Haus Pale is perfection in liquid form.

I really enjoy summit as the dominant flavor hop in a brew. My house amber is summit/centennial. My recommendation would be to use Summit for the primary bittering and 50% of the flavor/aroma and accent that with the cascades.

Summit can give a nice sweeter citrus flavor, more orange/tangerine than the grapefruit typical of cascades.

How does this sound?

0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 18.1 60 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 16.3 45 min.
0.25 oz. Cascase 6.6 4.8 15 min.
0.25 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 3.0 5 min.
.5 oz. Summit Whole 18.00 0.0 0 min.
.5 oz Cascade 6.6% 0.0 min
2.00 oz. Summit Whole 16.50 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz cascade 6.6 dry hop

Summit for bittering only, as far as I'm concerned. Keep it at 45 minutes or greater. That green onion flavor just doesn't work for me. Try The Gubna by Oskar Blues for a prime example.

Back