Modifying Brewtech Conical to Minimize Dry Hopping Oxygen Exposure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to improve my O2 exposure during dry hopping - right now I add the pellet through the conical's top port and then flush with C02. My beer results thus far are decent, but I'm always chasing perfection. I thought one simple step would be to add a port near the top, above the beer line, so I could run C02 into the headspace while dropping the pellets in. Anyone else try that, or think it might be a useful hack? Or is this about as useful as my current flushing process?

My last NEIPA, the way I did it was similar to what you described. I hooked up CO2 to the blow off arm of my SSBT 7 gal unitank. I opened the regulator to begin flow of CO2 and took off the top port and dropped hops it. My thought was that the flow of CO2 would prevent some/most/any of the O2 from entering in the top. Then, with CO2 still flowing, put the top back on and sealed it up.

Seemed to work OK. I haven't detected any kind of oxidation in that beer and the keg is almost gone.

However, this is my next investment...
upload_2020-3-31_10-39-37.png

A dry hopper that you can purge with CO2 before adding your hops to the beer. To me, this is one of the best ways you can do this as a home brewer. I saw on Sapwood Cellars instagram that this is actually how they dry hop some/all of their beers as well so this even transfers over to commercial guys.

I'd like to improve my O2 exposure during dry hopping - right now I add the pellet through the conical's top port and then flush with C02. My beer results thus far are decent, but I'm always chasing perfection. I thought one simple step would be to add a port near the top, above the beer line, so I could run C02 into the headspace while dropping the pellets in. Anyone else try that, or think it might be a useful hack? Or is this about as useful as my current flushing process?

I do pretty much exactly what you’re describing. I added a TC Reducer, butterfly valve, and a T to the top of my lid on my conical. That way, i can always close the valve before i open any ports/change hoses around and all I have to do is purge that T instead of the entire headspace.

For dry hopping, I run gas in the side of the T and drop pellets in through the top. Then, after the hops are added; I purge the headspace, pressurize the entire conical, close the valve, remove the gas line, and hook up the blowoff to the side of the T. Then slowly open the valve on top and use the headspace pressure to purge the blow off.

However, my ultimate goal would be to do it like the picture above!

Back