Modifing ingredient kits for more alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just made a new batch today. Added 12oz molases to a porter kit from local brew shop. O.G. 1.050. A little higher than we were getting.

well seems we have a stuck fermentation, any idea if the molases killed the fermentation? Conditions are the same as any other time, but there is no activity at all after 3 days.

Molasses shouldn't kill fermentation; I brewed something very similar a few weeks ago, and it fermented rather vigorously. As a n00b, I can't say anything else from experience, but I'm sure someone will ask whether you've taken a hydro reading to confirm the lack of activity. So I may as well ask myself.

What temps have you been holding the fermenter at, and how steadily? Controlled conditions or fluctuating room? Sunny area? Drafty basement? Tell us a little more about this and we might be able to steer you in the right direction. There are a lot of variables that can lead to stuck ferments. :)

That what was it, I texted my buddy, and he popped the lid and and there was alot of head, and a crausin ring, and the hydro read 1.020, so I guess its going. False alarm, sorry. Now hopeing there is no infection, he said it smelled good, no foul odors. Must have been air leak from bucket somewhere.

Back