Modifing ingredient kits for more alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just made a new batch today. Added 12oz molases to a porter kit from local brew shop. O.G. 1.050. A little higher than we were getting.

well seems we have a stuck fermentation, any idea if the molases killed the fermentation? Conditions are the same as any other time, but there is no activity at all after 3 days.

Molasses shouldn't kill fermentation; I brewed something very similar a few weeks ago, and it fermented rather vigorously. As a n00b, I can't say anything else from experience, but I'm sure someone will ask whether you've taken a hydro reading to confirm the lack of activity. So I may as well ask myself.

What temps have you been holding the fermenter at, and how steadily? Controlled conditions or fluctuating room? Sunny area? Drafty basement? Tell us a little more about this and we might be able to steer you in the right direction. There are a lot of variables that can lead to stuck ferments. :)

That what was it, I texted my buddy, and he popped the lid and and there was alot of head, and a crausin ring, and the hydro read 1.020, so I guess its going. False alarm, sorry. Now hopeing there is no infection, he said it smelled good, no foul odors. Must have been air leak from bucket somewhere.

Latest posts

Back