Modern IPA grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FT-Peru

Reaction score
Hi all, so with all these neipas going around, there is still love for a good american IPA. Any grain bill suggestions for a clean modern IPA?

I’d keep it simple and clean with just 2-row to get to ~1.060 and .5# each of med and dark crystal for color and depth. There will be plenty of hops to counter the pound of sweetness.

I’d keep it simple and clean with just 2-row to get to ~1.060 and .5# each of med and dark crystal for color and depth. There will be plenty of hops to counter the pound of sweetness.
You mean .5Lb or 5%? Being 5 Lb, thats like 7.6% caramel right?

Usually i tend to do a mix of 91.5% 2 row / 5% munich and around 3.5-3.8% light crystal. But I have also done 2 Row whet and like 0.5% dark crystal. But Have people been doing 95% and 5% carapils? or maybe 92% 2 row / 4 % c pils/dextrin and 3.5ish% crystal? Just wanna know thoughts about people using just pale and little crystal or all pale and c pils

Also, I was just visiting a lot of brewerys in san diego, correct me if Im wrong but seems now that more brewerys are going the route of going more 1.008 - 1.010 for FG in IPA rather than around 1.12. Any thoughts comments on this?

my double IPA grain bill works nicely - I call it my lucky 7.

7 lbs 2-row,
7 lbs Golden Promise
0.7 lbs 40L

Straight-up IPA - no haze. Good malt support but only just. Allows big hops to come through. If youlike, add corn sugar to bump ABV and help dry it out a little

Chico - WY1272, Omega DIPA, all have been tried with this and it works well.

Last edited:
my double IPA grain bill works nicely - I call it my lucky 7.

7 lbs 2-row,
7 lbs Golden Promise
0.7 lbs 40L

Straight-up IPA - no haze. Good malt support but only just. Allows big hops to come through. If youlike, add corn sugar to bump ABV and help dry it out a little

Chico - WY1972, Omega DIPA, all have been tried with this and it works well.
Whats your fg on that though? No dextrose?

Whats your fg on that though? No dextrose?
FG depends on mash temp and yeast of course. I go for 75 min at 148. Fly sparge and no mash out. Wort is nice and fermentable. Will use corn sugar (believe that is dextrose) to bump OG and drop FG. I won't use more than a pound though. Personal preference there

I stopped using crystal/caramel malts in IPAs. Simple Pilsner/Pale/2-row or a combination of these will work well. Vienna works fine as 20-50% of the grain bill. Maris Otter is another option, but I don't quite like it in IPAs. No more than 25, maybe 30% of the total grainbill.

I usually go for 70% Pilsner or any other light malt ( under 2L ) and 30% Golden Promise/Halcyon/Vienna. I prefer IPAs that don't exceed 5 SRM in colour. 4 SRM is what i usually shoot for.

You mean .5Lb or 5%? Being 5 Lb, thats like 7.6% caramel right?

2row to get to 1.060 then .5# each of med and dark crystal. On my system it would look like this:

Attachments

• 2391C505-FA6A-4EF3-8BC3-AC1F967990EB.jpeg
    2391C505-FA6A-4EF3-8BC3-AC1F967990EB.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 58
I stopped using crystal/caramel malts in IPAs. Simple Pilsner/Pale/2-row or a combination of these will work well. Vienna works fine as 20-50% of the grain bill. Maris Otter is another option, but I don't quite like it in IPAs. No more than 25, maybe 30% of the total grainbill.

I usually go for 70% Pilsner or any other light malt ( under 2L ) and 30% Golden Promise/Halcyon/Vienna. I prefer IPAs that don't exceed 5 SRM in colour. 4 SRM is what i usually shoot for.
Yeah, i know some use 100% pale grain bill or so, but sometimes i feel it can end up being a hop soup.

2row to get to 1.060 then .5# each of med and dark crystal. On my system it would look like this:
Got you, but that still seems like a lot of caramel or maybe old school take for an ipa maybe. Or is that light cRamel a carapils/dextrin?

Got you, but that still seems like a lot of caramel or maybe old school take for an ipa maybe. Or is that light cRamel a carapils/dextrin?

I dunno. I don’t consider 7% of a recipe too much crystal. Of course, to each his own. Cheers!

Yeah, i know some use 100% pale grain bill or so, but sometimes i feel it can end up being a hop soup.

I never ended up with hop soup. I also do not brew or aim to brew NE/hazy beers and I also do not bother trying to get overly clear beer. Yeast choice, cold crashing, conditioning ( for the suitable styles ) will take care of these aspects. If I brew hop-forward beers, I want to taste the hops and not too much of the malt.

I never ended up with hop soup. I also do not brew or aim to brew NE/hazy beers and I also do not bother trying to get overly clear beer. Yeast choice, cold crashing, conditioning ( for the suitable styles ) will take care of these aspects. If I brew hop-forward beers, I want to taste the hops and not too much of the malt.

I get though where people end up with a bit of hop burn. To echo your statements, a matter of processing. I have a zero crystal IPA on tap right now where there is roughly 9 oz of hops in the batch and overly hoppy is NOT what one would describe this beer as being.

2 Row
2-3% Carahell or Honey Malt
3-5% Dextrin Malt

“Modern” hoppy beers should be all about the hops. If you add a bunch of bittering hops I’d shoot for a higher FG through mashing/yeast over adding more crystal.

Back