Mocha Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlust

Reaction score
Hey all. I am planning on brewing a Milk stout with a chocolate malt base flavored (but no real chocolate) with cold brewed coffee for my upcoming Festivus celebration. I've never made a milk stout before, so I wanted to post the recipe for comments:

Mash (planned at 156 degrees):
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
1.00 lb Pale Chocolate -GR601 (250.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain
0.50 lb Chocolate Wheat Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain

Boil:
0min - 1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops
40 min - Whirlfloc tablet
50min - 1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min)
50 min - 1 lb Lactose

Yeast:
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005)

Secondary:
6-8oz cold brewed coffee (to taste)

Predicted:
OG: 1.072 FG: 1.020 (at 75% efficiency)

I was debating substituting 1-2 lbs of pale malt for Munich to add some body, but I didn't want to complicate the recipe too much.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I brewed this up as is, except that I dropped the lactose from 1lb to 0.5 lbs. The wort tasted phenomenal, so I hope it translates into what I want.

OG was 1.067 which was about 74% efficiency.

It is currently bubbling away in the closet at 68 degrees.

"Hey all. I am planning on brewing a Milk stout with a chocolate malt base flavored (but no real chocolate) with cold brewed coffee for my upcoming Festivus celebration. I've never made a milk stout before, so I wanted to post the recipe for comments:"

I have a question..... will there be a metal pole instead of a christmas tree? But seriously, the recipe looks really good. I have my first milk stout in the fermenter currently as well. Let us know how this one turns out. And don't forget the airing of grievances. :mug:

Of course we will have the pole. :) We've had it prominently displayed in the house after Thanksgiving for the past 3 years. No tinsel though, I find tinsel very distracting.

Hopefully their are no grievances to air over the taste of this beer.

Hey wanderlust,

I've got a stout in primary that I'm going to rack to secondary soon on top of some oak cubes/bourbon... i also want to add a bit of coffee... was trying to decide between beans soaked in the bourbon to put into secondary or adding a 1/2 cup to cup of cold brew into the bottling bucket when i bottle... did you add the cold brew into the secondary? how long did you leave the beer in secondary?

I just brewed on Saturday, so the beer is still in primary. Recently I have been collecting yeast from my beers to save money, so I leave it in primary for about 4 days, then swap to secondary fro 2 weeks.

My plan is to cold brew coffee and add it at bottling, because I need to bottle a few as a chocolate milk stout for my friends who don't drink caffeine. From browsing different posts on here, I have seen people go both ways between adding the grounds to secondary and doing a cold brew.

You might want to look into using bourbon on the beans, because the high alcohol concentration might dissolve some of the oils that you are extracting flavor off of. I read that the purpose of the cold brew is to limit the amount of oils removed from the beans, but provide a good clean taste. Since I am going to leave it in bottles for two weeks, and the coffee won't add any fermentables, this seems like the best way for me to impart the flavor and be able to judge exactly how much coffee I want to balance out the sweetness from lactose.

I would be interested to hear how it turns out though. I think I am going to be doing a bourbon aged IRS next.

I transferred it to secondary last night with a FG of 1.022. A little higher than I would have liked, but it makes sense since I mashed it at 156.

I'll probably drop it to 152-154 next time to try to get a few more more fermentables out.

The front of the tongue flavor is currently a little sharp (probably a remnant of the British ale yeast), but i think it will mellow in secondary/bottle but the back end is super smooth and creamy.

So far so good.

Im planning to do this recipe this weekend.

Can you perhaps tell me what your mash and sparge quantities were?

Nevermind: Did some research... sorry for the thread resurrection aswell

I'm glad you figured it out, because I don't have many notes from this brew day. I probably just winged it and added mash/sparge water until it seemed "just right".

If you haven't added coffee to beer before, be careful with your addition. I tried to add a little at a time until it tasted "just right" but my palette was slowly adjusting to each addition and I couldn't tell that I over did it. It mellowed though and ended up being very drinkable.

Good luck!

Back