MN Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCB451

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I decided to make a garden for Hops this year and give it a shot.

Since nature has smiled on us in the upper Midwest this year I am able to get quite a jump on the process.

First order of business is to dig out a nice spot for the garden. Where I live is terrible soil of mostly clay, gooey when wet and rock hard when dry. Luckily it was not too far either way when I was digging out the spot.

3 hours of digging on Sat and another 5 on Sun and the hole was dug.

Now fill in with about 8" of sand on the bottom and then another 8" of black dirt and I can plant my Rhizomes that are waiting for me at Northern Brewer.

Got as far as getting the sand in before the store closed on Sunday. Will have to finish the black dirt this week after work.

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

cant wait to see the progress. Aren't kids great. slave labor. cant w8 till mine is older. :)

Any updates with this? I'm up in Mpls, and although I'll be waiting until fall for hop planting, I'm really interested in a progress report!

Sorry for not updating this sooner, been busy building EBrewery. The Hops are growing well, been having a problem with the leaves getting chewed off. Finally figured out that it was SWMBO's little dog doing the chewing.:mad:

Installed a fence around the garden this past weekend, so hopefully that will alleviate the problem.

Hope to post more pictures soon.

Back