MMA fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasquatchSmith

Reaction score
I'm brand new here and after doing a bit of searching it doesn't look like there are any active MMA threads going...any fans?

I've been a huge fan of the sport since 2004 or so, and fight nights give me an excuse (not that I need one!) to open some good beers and relax. :fro:

Favorite fighters:
Fedor Emelianenko
Josh Barnett
Dan Henderson
BJ Penn (crybaby attitude aside, just like him as a fighter)

Generally root against:
Brock Lesnar (glad he retired, although it was fun seeing him get beaten on)
Michael Bisping
Josh Koscheck
GSP
Anderson Silva

Both GSP and Anderson are AMAZING fighters...just want them to lose to shake things up, the divisions are getting stale because of their reigns! Plus they both bore on occasion.

What about you!?

Anderson can go because of his attitude. I like GSP though. I liked BJ before he went soft.

Fedor IS the last emperor. He's the man. If you don't like him then your opinion doesn't matter.

Bisping is *****ey, so is Koscheck and Lesnar.

I HATE nate diaz.

JDS and Cain are both cool in my book as well.

My favorite fighters of all time are Wanderlei Silva, Royce Gracie, and Fedor as mentioned above. Oh, and Chuck in his prime was beast mode too.

Welcome to the board.

I was a big fan of UFC when they started out. Stopped watching in the mid 1990's when they changed some of the rules, but especially didn't like the bumbling in how they put the matches together ... alternates, matching people who had already just fought a few times against someone who was completely fresh, other things ... seriously irritated me ... I don’t need that kind of stimulation. The Jennum championship match (where he was put in when Shamrock got injured) really got up my nose something fierce. The guy he was fighting was wayyyyyyyy more skilled than he was. I was so pissed off at that one match that I didn’t watch another MMA match until the late 2000’s. A part of it is that, though I once enjoyed UFC/MMA for the sport and technical aspects ... I had, and have no use for the "professional wrestling" style promotion that goes on (or maybe I’ve become increasingly less tolerant of it) ... they can keep that shyte to themselves and show a bit more modesty. Not my style at all.

Though I'm only in my late 40's, in the 1970’s took instruction for a few years in 5 style Chinese Boxing largely Wing Chun and Fujian White Crane, but also with a lot of high kick stuff tossed in as was popular back then. Also around 1980 for a short period of time took private lessons in Pentjak Silat (mostly Harimau style) which was mostly ground work and submission.
In the 1980’s practiced TaeKwan Do, and also Ishin Ryu with Mosier’s Ishin Ryu in Pontiac Michigan. My late Sensei Mosier was ranked 7th in the world in 1984 in PKA at one time. In the early 1990’s I trained mostly kickboxing ... though it was “American style” we had Muay Thai, K-1 and Shoot guys in the group. I also got interested in various submission methods mostly due to my interest in UFC.
I have less appreciation as a spectator and more interest in the technicalities and practicing.

Since about 2000 I’ve had some lifting injuries. That plus too much beer and good food and I put on a bit of weight. I was running about 23 to 25 miles a week in 2002, had some unrelated injuries, backslid ... blah, blah, blah.
Back at the gym tho now. Been watching what I eat ... also now I just make booze, but don’t drink it :) ... one of the reasons I mostly make just wine. Broke an ankle about a year ago carrying a dresser down a flight of stairs, a family member had left an item on the stairs ... yard sale ... my bad. Been rehabilitating the ankle. Looking forward to some road work this summer.
Maybe after I work out for a while and get stretched out again I’ll pick it back up ... probably still won’t watch much MMA on tv though.

Anderson can go because of his attitude. I like GSP though. I liked BJ before he went soft.

Fedor IS the last emperor. He's the man. If you don't like him then your opinion doesn't matter.

Bisping is *****ey, so is Koscheck and Lesnar.

I HATE nate diaz.

JDS and Cain are both cool in my book as well.

My favorite fighters of all time are Wanderlei Silva, Royce Gracie, and Fedor as mentioned above. Oh, and Chuck in his prime was beast mode too.

The Diaz brothers present an interesting problem for a lot of MMA fans I think...their attitudes in the cage and outside of it can get extremely thuggish and annoying, but they are both VERY good fighters who seem to be getting better and better and beating the hell out of everyone they fight lately.

I can't stand either of what I perceive to be their personalities, but I do acknowledge that they're both very tough, very good, and I look forward to their fights.

JDS and Cain are both monsters and both seem like very good guys.

thoughts on Overeem vs. JDS? I think it can seriously go either way...JDS could land his power shots and hurt ANYONE, but then again Overeem is a different guy than he used to be...he's an ELITE striker these days and certainly could take the fight as well. Can't wait for that one.

I HATE nate diaz.

Yup. Tho I don't watch hardly any mma, I do know that Diaz is exactly the kind of schmuck I have no use for.
There was a "humble" sort of mentality when I started practicing ... an offshoot of the popularity of the classic Chinese and Japanese styles. I still like that mentality and have no use for the big-mouthed talking-shyte nature of a lot of modern mma stuff.

Welcome to the board.

I was a big fan of UFC when they started out. Stopped watching in the mid 1990's when they changed some of the rules, but especially didn't like the bumbling in how they put the matches together ... alternates, matching people who had already just fought a few times against someone who was completely fresh, other things ... seriously irritated me ... I don’t need that kind of stimulation. The Jennum championship match (where he was put in when Shamrock got injured) really got up my nose something fierce. The guy he was fighting was wayyyyyyyy more skilled than he was. I was so pissed off at that one match that I didn’t watch another MMA match until the late 2000’s. Zuffa (the company that bought UFC ... Zuffa is Italian basically for “scuffle”) really popularized the sport, but I still don't watch really at all anymore ... even if it was on broadcast tv, I still wouldn’t be watching much. A part of it is that, though I once enjoyed UFC/MMA for the sport and technical aspects ... I had, and have no use for the "professional wrestling" style promotion that goes on (or maybe I’ve become increasingly less tolerant of it) ... they can keep that shyte to themselves and show a bit more modesty. Not my style at all.

I practiced for many years ... in the 1970’s practiced 5 style Chinese Boxing largely Wing Chun and Fujian White Crane, but also with a lot of high kick stuff tossed in as was popular back then. Also around 1979 for a short period of time took private lessons in Pentjak Silat (mostly Harimau style) in part for ground work and submission techniques.
In the 1980’s practiced Tae Kwan Do, and also Ishin Ryu with Mozier’s Ishin Ryu in Pontiac Michigan. My late Sensei Mosier was ranked 7th in the world in 1984 in PKA at one time, but after a loss to Kerry Roop stopped competing and concentrated on his school. Locals might remember him at Lifters Gym in Pontiac. In the early 1990’s I trained mostly kickboxing ... though it was “American style” we had Muay Thai, Shoot and K-1 guys in the group. I also got interested in various submission methods mostly due to my interest in UFC. That was about it. Since about 2000 I’ve had some lifting injuries. That plus too much beer and good food and I put on a bit of weight. I was running about 23 to 25 miles a week in 2002, had some unrelated injuries, backslid ... blah, blah, blah.
Back at the gym tho now. Been watching what I eat ... also now I just make booze, but don’t drink it :) ... one of the reasons I mostly make just wine. Broke an ankle about a year ago carrying a dresser down a flight of stairs, a family member had left an item on the stairs ... yard sale ... my bad. Been rehabilitating the ankle. Looking forward to some road work this summer.
Maybe after I work out for a while and get stretched out again I’ll pick it back up ... probably still won’t watch much MMA on tv though.

Thanks for the welcome, interesting martial arts history...cool stuff. I can certainly understand not being interest in MMA mostly due to the way that it's presented similar to pro-wrestling these days...it does get very lame and overproduced for sure. I like to just DVR events and fast-forward through all that nonsense straight to the fights most of the time :)

There are just certain fighters that keep me interested...guys with huge hearts that can take a beating and pull off an amazing win, guys who are not afraid to NOT play it safe make the sport fun to watch, guys who just fight because they love it and not just for the cash and attention.

Do you know who Lyoto Machida is? He brought a lot of "traditional" martial arts enthusiasts back to MMA because his style is primarily karate.

Check out this guy if you're not familiar, you may know of him since you've been involved with the martial arts scene...but he's incredible. He went 10 years without losing, beating some of the best in the world along with some guys almost twice his size.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QoN2P90b0]Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter that ever lived - Highlight video - YouTube[/ame]

I do like Fedor, but he wouldn't last 5 minutes in the UFC.

Eh I disagree. At this point in his career he might not be championship material anymore because he's too aggressive and doesn't gameplan well enough to beat the "new breed" of heavyweight...but I think there are plenty of guys he could handle in the UFC. With his punching power, speed, and grappling game he has a chance against anyone, despite his recent losses.

thoughts on Overeem vs. JDS? I think it can seriously go either way...JDS could land his power shots and hurt ANYONE, but then again Overeem is a different guy than he used to be...he's an ELITE striker these days and certainly could take the fight as well. Can't wait for that one.

Initial thoughts? :mug: :ban: :mug: :ban: :mug: :ban:

and

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Haha, it's going to be a great fight. I think Overeem's confidence in this fight will be his downfall. I haven't seen him respond well in the past to being hit (he usually doesn't, because he IS good)...and he's going to get hit...a lot. He is a very good striker, and is quick for his size, but I think JDS wins by a knock out. If it goes to a second round, Overeem will try to take it to the ground - after he realizes he's being out boxed, but it will be too late.

If Overeem DOES take JDS down with some life left in his legs, JDS could be in trouble as Overeem is bigger and probably a better grappler.

I pick JDS knock out in the 2nd.

Overeem is my favorite for that fight. I think he hits way harder, and if he can land one or two on JDS, it would be over. Quite frankly, I think Cain got too overconfident and let JDS land a fluke shot to the back of his ear. Overeem won't let him do that.

Initial thoughts? :mug: :ban: :mug: :ban: :mug: :ban:

and

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Haha, it's going to be a great fight. I think Overeem's confidence in this fight will be his downfall. I haven't seen him respond well in the past to being hit (he usually doesn't, because he IS good)...and he's going to get hit...a lot. He is a very good striker, and is quick for his size, but I think JDS wins by a knock out. If it goes to a second round, Overeem will try to take it to the ground - after he realizes he's being out boxed, but it will be too late.

If Overeem DOES take JDS down with some life left in his legs, JDS could be in trouble as Overeem is bigger and probably a better grappler.

I pick JDS knock out in the 2nd.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. Overeem might be the better striker technically speaking (K-1 creds and what not), but I have a feeling if they both eat a couple shots, he'll be the one backing up while JDS will keep coming. 2nd round KO for JDS is probably what I would go with too if I HAD to bet on it...Who knows though, can JDS take one of those huge knees if Overeem gets close enough to land out without eating an uppercut? Ugh, can't wait.

As a MMA photographer, I regularly shoot UFC events here in Las Vegas. I shot Lesnar vs. Overeem (UFC 141) and just today received my credential approval for Diaz vs. Condit (UFC 143) on 02/04.

MMA is great, being cage-side for free, and having access to fighters pre and post fight, is better.

Las Vegas is full of MMA fighters and gyms. The one and only advantage of living in this God-forsaken hell hole.

I've got a shoot lined up with heavyweight Frank Mir in the next couple of weeks; it should be interesting.

As a MMA photographer, I regularly shoot UFC events here in Las Vegas. I shot Lesnar vs. Overeem (UFC 141) and just today received my credential approval for Diaz vs. Condit (UFC 143) on 02/04.

MMA is great, being cage-side for free, and having access to fighters pre and post fight, is better.

Las Vegas is full of MMA fighters and gyms. The one and only advantage of living in this God-forsaken hell hole.

I've got a shoot lined up with heavyweight Frank Mir in the next couple of weeks; it should be interesting.

Very cool stuff!

Met any fighters who are flat out ********?

Im also a big MMA fan. Ive been training for 8 years. I train about 4 times a week. The ground game and clinch is my first love but I enjoy the standup as well. I have a purple belt in BJJ, hope to get my brown belt in April.
I get UFC from a freind of mine but only a couple of weeks after the event. I'l have to avoid this thread - I hate knowing the results before I watch the fights :)
Welcome !

Im also a big MMA fan. Ive been training for 8 years. I train about 4 times a week. The ground game and clinch is my first love but I enjoy the standup as well. I have a purple belt in BJJ, hope to get my brown belt in April.
I get UFC from a freind of mine but only a couple of weeks after the event. I'l have to avoid this thread - I hate knowing the results before I watch the fights :)
Welcome !

I like how this thread turned in to people talking about their training, Lol.

There are websites from which you can stream the fights live. That's what I do almost every time because the sports bars are packed, and the PPV is like $50. Google around and see what you can come up with.

I need to do that. Ive used MMAShare. Invarably someone mentions the results to me.
Ive been enjoying The Ultimate Fighter - does anyone else watch it?

I need to do that. Ive used MMAShare. Invarably someone mentions the results to me.
Ive been enjoying The Ultimate Fighter - does anyone else watch it?

I watched every episode for the first 3 or 4 seasons. I catch it when it's on now, but I don't record the show like I used to.

I watch Ultimate Fighter, but I typically fast forward through all the reality show nonsense and just watch the fights.

Curious to see how the new FX live version is...not sure how that will work, but should be cool.

I usually either go to a sports bar or split the PPV with my brother, only because sometimes it's really tough to find a decent stream. I think for the event on Saturday, if i'm home, I will actually just try to find one though because I don't care enough about the card to spend any money on it :)

Back