MLTs Stolen, ideas for a new one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmags711

Reaction score
So, I brewed on Saturday. Put together my first SMaSH (2-Row & Centennial). Rinsed out my two 5 gal converted cooler MLTs, Brew kettle, and Counter-Flow Chiller. Let them out to dry and completely forgot about it all.

Last night, I finally remembered. Go out back and what do you know, my two MLTs are gone :mad:. I know they were stolen because the hoses I had draped over them to dry were still there thrown on the ground. THANKFULLY, the d-bag that took them had no idea what he was looking at because he left my great heavy duty brew kettle and the counterflow chiller that has probably $60 of copper in it. SO, could be worse.

Anywho, I was really looking forward to getting another batch done this weekend. So I'm looking for ideas on making a replacement MLT. The two that I had came as part of a big package got from a guy when I switched to all grain.

I've never tried to convert a 5 gal cooler, but it doesn't look that hard.

MY QUESTION IS: Should I pick up a couple coolers and get some hardware to convert it? I noticed that those can't handle a grain bill much bigger than about 12 pounds, so I'd love to get more capacity for my mash. Does anyone have a cheap and easy recommendation (or link to a thread) for a bigger MLT that I could comfortably mash a 20 pound grain bill in?

For what it's worth, the SMaSH is happily fermenting done in my basement. Not all it lost :mug:

Try a 10 gallon cooler and convert it. My 5 gallon MLT can handle a thin mash of around 13 lbs of grain, so I don't see any reason why a 10 gallon cooler can't do 20 lbs. Weird item to steal and probably not worth that much to a nonbrewer. Sorry for your loss.

Agreed. 10-gal cooler is the way to go. If you buy from Lowes or Home Depot, they have a version with the store name on it that costs nearly $20 less than the standard Igloo or Rubbermaid cooler.

Back