Mixed Fermentation in Less Than 3 Months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link takes me to multiple different methods on MTF. I have been turned stuff out in that time frame using Goodbelly and Sac Trois or a French Saison yeast. I pitch right between lager and ale rates. I have a recipe for a super easy 4% beer that I add fruit juice to in the leg and force carb. It's like a Sour Lawnmower Beer. I really like the reverse kettle sour method as well.

I use Imperial often for Sacc. The Citrus and Napoleon have worked well for me in quick, acidic beers.

Sorry I can't link to the anchor from a mobile device. I'm referring to the section labeled "Fermentation in Less Than 3 Months"

Sacc Trois seems like a great choice.

I guess my plan is to make highly fermentable wort around 1.055, kettle sour to 3.4-3.5, add a little whirlpool hops. Copitch Sacc Trois and Wyeast's B. lambicus starter at 70-75F.

My friend wants a sugar-free beer and I've been meaning to try this method anyway. Definitely looking for a sour funky beer finishing at ~1.000 that doesn't taste like pepper. If it finishes quick, all the better!

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I can't link to the anchor from a mobile device. I'm referring to the section labeled "Fermentation in Less Than 3 Months"

Sacc Trois seems like a great choice.

I guess my plan is to make highly fermentable wort around 1.055, kettle sour to 3.4-3.5, add a little whirlpool hops. Copitch Sacc Trois and Wyeast's B. lambicus starter at 70-75F.

My friend wants a sugar-free beer and I've been meaning to try this method anyway. Definitely looking for a sour funky beer finishing at ~1.000 that doesn't taste like pepper. If it finishes quick, all the better!

Thanks

That sounds pretty good. What temp are you gonna mash it? If you are a bottler, adding Brett at bottling can be pretty cool in a speedy sour as well.

I have been meaning to experiment with this method of quick souring:
Brew a 6 gallon batch. No hops in boil. Pull out 3 gallons. Chill and Pitch Sac + LactoP. Add hops remaining wort and boil to about 25 ibu's. Chill that half and ferment with Sac. Combine after about 3-4 days and then let if finish. Bottle with Brett.

I bottle. I'm somewhat wary of overcarbonation adding Brett at bottling. I haven't seen enough people doing it for me to want to experiment.
Have you tried it? Do you aim for a low FG? What strains do you use? What are your results? How long have you kept bottles at room temp?

My biggest fear is giving bottles to someone else and him/her having bombs.... I can't control excessive motion or temperature fluctuations.
Brett can attenuate higher if it's agitated; that's why sour imports are frequently pasteurized (e.g. Lindemans) or filtered (e.g. Duchesse).

If this fast method works, it seems a lot safer imo.
Going to mash at 145°F (63C) for 2+ hours like they suggested.

If you want ~12 IBU and live bacteria, you could sour it all together and then boil only like half a gallon of it with your hops (and add it back). This works great in my experience. Whatever's easiest :)

Thanks

Brewed this today. Super excited!

Mashed at 150F for 2 hours (and no mash out) and pH 5.5 to maximize fermentability.
60 min boil, no hops.
O.G. 1.041, slightly higher than anticipated.
Pitching the 5526 Brett starter that's been going for a week.
Pitching 644 Sacc using a 4-hour vitality starter.
Going to pitch L. plantarum blend after a few days. Made that starter today. Going to dry hop with Saaz to stop souring at around pH 3.5.
Fermenting 70-75F
Target FG is 1.000 or lower (5.5% ABV); hopefully it finishes within 2 weeks.

I think I will add Brett directly to some of the bottles since there's no risk of over-carbonation. Thanks for the tip @radwizard !

Sorry, I missed your previous post.

Sounds like you came up with a great plan.

I have not experienced bottle bombs while bottling with Brett. I always get down pretty close to 0 (I have heard 1.000-1.004 is good, but I have always stayed under .002) if I want to add Brett at bottling. I plan for this (mash temps, yeast choice). I have added Belle Saison to help lower beers that didnt finish as low as I wanted, and found that I dont get a lot of it's peppery flavor when using it to finish.

I use Brown Champagne bottles with a cap.

The only issue I have had with bottling with brett has been in long term aged sours with lots different organisms working. I had what I am pretty sure is THP when I brett conditioned in a corny keg. I'm not sure what was going on but I think the lag time in bottling conditioning from the brett had something to do with it. I have never had this issue with plantarum only beers- not sure why.

Thanks, good info.

I had THP when bottling a kettle sour. Huge Capn Crunch flavor, which I loved.
Unfortunately it was gone after a couple weeks for bottle carbonation. That was a sad day.

Supposedly in addition to being ready quick this fast method produces [young] funk immediately, so adding other Brett strains at bottling is just for fun/experimentation.
When do you think is a good time to taste the bottles with extra Brett strains? I was thinking 2 bottles each & tasting at 3 & 6 months.

Yeah, that sounds good. I would be tempted to try one earlier then you think (1 or 2 mo), - for science and all.

I bottled the Farmer on the Rye recipe (from Ales of the Riverwards blog) with Imperial's Suburban Brett. I chilled and drank a few after a month, and had a few more a month later and so on. I really like that beer and it tasted good even early on and still does.

The brett should "peak" at some point. It could be surprising at what time you like it best. The Capt. Crunch beer is a perfect example of how things can just kind of work out for you when you least expect it.

Back