Mix Grain While Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back before I got an AIO, I was able to stir the grain in my kettle, so I never worried about whether it had been mixed up well. Now that I have a Braumeister, things are different. It's not easy to get in there and stir things.

My semi-L HBS puts entire recipes in marked bags, which is great, but the grain for today's stout was stratified. A layer of this. Then a layer of that. I dumped it in a big pot and mixed it up.

Should I have a practice of mixing the grain up before mashing? I know it makes sense when there are wheat hulls, but it seems like it could also matter for things like corn and flaked oats.

I found someone on the web saying it's a good idea because it gets the grains that are low in enzymes close to the ones that are high. I don't know if that matters when you have a pump blasting water through the whole column.

You should always mix/stir your grist well when you mash in. It not only ensures no doughballs but ensures the grains are well mixed to let the enzymes do their thing. It's a simple process even with an all in one system.

You really don't need to mix the grain before adding it your AOI...as others have said above you should definitely be giving it a hardy mix before starting your recirculation.

I find stirring awkward with all the hardware in place, and there is nothing holding the malt pipe down except gravity. This is why I used a pot.

I find stirring awkward with all the hardware in place, and there is nothing holding the malt pipe down except gravity. This is why I used a pot.

No doubt the pipe in the middle makes it awkward! Get yourself a skinny mash paddle or big spoon and get it mixed as best as possible.

I picked up a huge whisk from amazon I think. It measured something like 30" long. It's been the perfect thing to use in my Anvil 10.5 and getting all the way down there to the bottom to break up the dough balls :drunk:

Underlet your strike volume and you may find the only need for stirring is to equalize temperature.
I never get dough balls and I use all kinds of malted grains including the gluey ones :)

Cheers!

Back