Missing Pre-boil gravity (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky2284

Reaction score
my pre-boil gravity was lower than estimated. it was estimated at 1.051 and i recorded 1.031. For my mash i measured my volumes for mashing and single batch sparge correctly. i sparged for 5 mins (stirring), vorlaufed for then drained. am i missing something?

From what you said it sounds good. How did you calculate your estimated og? I'd look to your grain crush for improving efficiency. Where do you crush your grain? Also, one batch sparge? Maybe add a second.

From what you said it sounds good. How did you calculate your estimated og? I'd look to your grain crush for improving efficiency. Where do you crush your grain? Also, one batch sparge? Maybe add a second.

I used beer smith to do all my calculations. i got my grained all milled at the LHBS. i was told a single batch sparge is more than enough. Any other advice?

That estimated mash efficiency is likely what messed you up. Is this a consistent problem or a one time thing? We're your volumes all on the mark? Kyle

That was fast. Definitely check the crush. A photo could help. You may want to try a double batch sparge. I do singles and get good efficiency but also do my own crush and have dialed in my system. Are your temps good on the mash, and has your thermometer been checked? Kyle

I agree with the advice about double milling at the LBS. I had the same problem on my first beer as did a friend. Often the grind isn't fine enough.

You could pitch your yeast and then add some boiled extract once the krausen gets going. This kind of start is actually good for the yeast to get started.

Once you know that you have a good grind, you can skip the pre-boil gravity. I only check it once it has cooled to go to the primary (but this is just the way I do it). I wouldn't double sparge as it can lead to tannins and a nasty taste.

Did you temp correct your reading? Do you check your mash pH? Did you hit your desired volumes?

i checked everything and made sure my volumes were right. maybe i should ask to double mill my grains. then go from there. I'm in the middle of my brew session, so ill check to see my OG.

Good call... How are you measuring gravity? If it is hydrometer then what temp are you measuring at? Most hydrometers seem to be calibrated around 60°F.

Yeah I'm using my hydrometer. It's at 60F...I convert it as well. I was wondering if it can be my equipment profile.

I did my final gravity test and it came out at 1.054 and it was estimated at 1.061

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back