Missing a mash paddle? 7 iron works great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
So due my dog mistaking my mash paddle as a chew toy, I no longer have one. It has been a while since I last brewed, and I began brewing not realizing that I didn't have a mash paddle. I was right about to dough in when I remembered about my paddle, so I had to find a substitute and fast.

The only thing I was able to find on such short notice was my old set of golf clubs. So I decided to pull out the least dirty club, wash it off and use it to mix my mash. Using the 7 iron worked out amazingly well, and I think the broad flat face of the club helped get good mash mixture.

The club actually worked so well that I am thinking of just not buying a new paddle? Is this crazy? What makeshift stuff have you guys used as mash paddles in the past?

A clean 7 iron?

That's my favorite club. I'm pretty sure it's so gummed up I would never want anything that touched that to get anywhere near my mouth. Yes, even after an hour long boil.

Geese poop... ugh.

Last mash I did I used my wife's ladle. Not a normal ladle, but a biggun with a loooong handle.

Pumping the mash (batch sparge) worked awesome...

A clean 7 iron?

That's my favorite club. I'm pretty sure it's so gummed up I would never want anything that touched that to get anywhere near my mouth. Yes, even after an hour long boil.

Geese poop... ugh.

Well my 9 iron and my 5 iron are pretty gummed up, so they were right out. I don't find much use for the 7, but I have a pitching wedge and a sand wedge in the bag, so I probably only really need the 9 and the 5 and shouldn't carry all the others around.

Don't worry I cleaned it really well.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with a long slotted spoon or something like that? Or have I been unintentionally doing something to degrade the quality of my beer?

Coincidently, there was once a golf club called a "mashie."

mashie.gif

Just out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with a long slotted spoon or something like that? Or have I been unintentionally doing something to degrade the quality of my beer?

Absolutely. For one thing I bet hot side aeration has occurred due to the slots and has ruinned all of your batches. If you haven't noticed that the beer is ruinned you obviously have no taste and should drink BMC for the rest of your life.

Remarkably, the PGA recently banned the use of square grooved wedges in the manufacture and assembly of reinheitsgebot sanctioned activity. Sadly, such use will cost you a stroke and you will need to take a drop no nearer the MLT....

I love these posts! It reminds me when I'm brewing and something goes wrong that any reasonable fix will work and will most likely not ruin my batch!
:mug:

Absolutely. For one thing I bet hot side aeration has occurred due to the slots and has ruinned all of your batches. If you haven't noticed that the beer is ruinned you obviously have no taste and should drink BMC for the rest of your life.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I use a 5 gallon paint stirrer that you put in a cordless drill. Costs about 5 bucks at Lowes. It also creates enough suction to unclog my false bottom when I use alot of wheat. All of my paddles and spoons are relegated to spanking only.

Haha... I just felt the need to make a point. I don't really understand what the point of a "mash paddle" is in a traditional sense. As long as the grains get evenly mixed in the water, why do they even sell paddles with big holes in them or similar types of single-purpose mash paddles.

Haha... I just felt the need to make a point. I don't really understand what the point of a "mash paddle" is in a traditional sense. As long as the grains get evenly mixed in the water, why do they even sell paddles with big holes in them or similar types of single-purpose mash paddles.

Hey why spend $30 on a mash paddle when you have a perfectly good 7 iron just sitting around?

Toilet bowl brush would have worked too.

Seriously, don't you have a kitchen? I can't believe you couldn't find something in the kitchen to use instead.

Toilet bowl brush would have worked too.

Seriously, don't you have a kitchen? I can't believe you couldn't find something in the kitchen to use instead.

What you mean like ...oh i don't know...What are those things called....

A SPOON!!
I have a large handled, 18-24" SS Spoon that i use for my mash. it then get's turned around and use for stirring in hop additions in my boil.

Do you all have separate boil and mash stirrers?

I used the same large spoon for both the mash and the boil. I didn't clean it off right away after the last batch and the dog mistook the sticky sweetness for a chew toy. And I need something long because I mash in a tall round gott cooler (a toilet bowl brush would not reach). So the spoon needs to be 30" to get all the way to the bottom.

I used the same large spoon for both the mash and the boil. I didn't clean it off right away after the last batch and the dog mistook the sticky sweetness for a chew toy. And I need something long because I mash in a tall round gott cooler (a toilet bowl brush would not reach). So the spoon needs to be 30" to get all the way to the bottom.

I guess a little more explanation goes a long way. ;)

Latest posts

Back