Missed spice addition, add to the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunoshi

Reaction score
I just brewed a Rochefort clone (based off Evan!'s recipe) and it's been in the bucket for about 4 days now. The problem is that I forgot to add Corriander to the boil. I spaced out on it completely until today when I reviewed the recipe. This brings about my question. Should I take some crushed corriander and add it to the secondary when I rack this? Will it have the same effect? If I do add it, do I need to add a different quantity than you would to the boil? Should I only do it for a given period of time so as to not overwhelm the flavor? Should I not even bother...?

Ugh, I can't believe I left it out.... :(

Taste it first, the determine if you want to add spice. If you do, keep this in mind:

Too little spice will give a Belgian ale lacking spice. Too much spice will give you an overpowered coriander spice beer. I made this mistake with Nutmeg in my Punkin' Ale.

I think I would follow the above advice, and then if you want to add it, make a coriander tea and add it to the secondary.

Not so much concerned over sanitation, but uncooked coriander will likely impart a different, and most likely, weaker flavor.

cheezydemon said:
I think I would follow the above advice, and then if you want to add it, make a coriander tea and add it to the secondary.

Not so much concerned over sanitation, but uncooked coriander will likely impart a different, and most likely, weaker flavor.

That's what I was thinking as well. That 15 minute boil would extract a lot of essential oils. I think I may go with both your suggestions. Taste it at racking time and if necessary, add a spice tea.

Back