Missed OG - can I boil it to raise it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog44450

Reaction score
I have never missed my OG on an all-grain brew by more than a few points, but I missed one tonight on an IPA. Beersmith estimated at 72 but I measured a 60 (12 points!!!) I boiled too much off so I added top up water to get to the right and didn't imagine it to lower the OG so much. Can I throw the wort back in the pot and boil off the top up water without any adverse affects? I've made a yeast starter but haven't pitched yet.

If anything I could take a little wort and boil it down extremely concentrated since I have no more ice to do an icebath, I'd just throw the concentrated wort into the fermentor to cool it.

I have never missed my OG on an all-grain brew by more than a few points, but I missed one tonight on an IPA. Beersmith estimated at 72 but I measured a 60 (12 points!!!) I boiled too much off so I added top up water to get to the right and didn't imagine it to lower the OG so much. Can I throw the wort back in the pot and boil off the top up water without any adverse affects? I've made a yeast starter but haven't pitched yet.

If anything I could take a little wort and boil it down extremely concentrated since I have no more ice to do an icebath, I'd just throw the concentrated wort into the fermentor to cool it.

I believe boiling it down again could darken your wort. You might take a gallon of wort and toss in a Lb and half of sugar or honey, bring it to a boil and cool it in just a water bath and re-add it to the main wort. Assuming you have a 5 gallon batch that should get you your 12 points back. Or, you could just pitch on the 1.06 wort and still have a strong beer of around 6.5 percent, assuming attenuation down to 1.01.

I believe boiling it down again could darken your wort. You might take a gallon of wort and toss in a Lb and half of sugar or honey, bring it to a boil and cool it in just a water bath and re-add it to the main wort. Assuming you have a 5 gallon batch that should get you your 12 points back. Or, you could just pitch on the 1.06 wort and still have a strong beer of around 6.5 percent, assuming attenuation down to 1.01.

I'm actually doing a 2.5 gallon batch. I using safale 05 so I shouldn't have a problem getting a low FG.

Beersmith originally estimated a 7.4%, but assuming I get to a 1.010 I would get a 6.6.

Would adding the sugar have a strong affect of the taste, because it seems to me it would?

As long as your sugar amount isn't huge and your fermentation practices are good, it shouldn't have a drastic effect on flavor. Are you certain that the wort was completely stirred after you added the top up water?

As long as your sugar amount isn't huge and your fermentation practices are good, it shouldn't have a drastic effect on flavor. Are you certain that the wort was completely stirred after you added the top up water?

Yes, I suspected that to be the problem so I shook my fermentor for 5 minutes vigorously and got the same reading

If you are doing a 2.5 gallon batch then you only need 30 gravity points worth of sugar. Therefore you only need about .65 of a LB to hit your gravity.

Last edited:
If you are doing a 2.5 gallon batch then you only need 30 gravity points worth of sugar. Therefore you only need about .65 of a LB to hit your gravity.

So I added about 8 cups to a pot, boiled over half of it off while adding about 3/4 cups sugar and the gravity is now at 73. Thanks for the help

Personally, who cares? Ive missed my OG a couple of times by a decent margin. I just ferment it and let it ride. Whether it is 8% or 6%, as long as the flavor is there, I couldnt care less about the ABV

Back