Mishaps you are embarrassed to admit...but can here, we're all friends.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two mishaps today. The second was I only connect one water line to my therminator, the out. The in line is attached to the wall and runs behind the brew stand to the bottom shelf. Turned the water on and I kept thinking, "That sounds like a lot of air in the lines".

The first was a new variation on a mistake I've made a couple times now. The differential between my HLT PID and MT PID is about four degrees. I often just turn off the power to HLT when fly sparging as the temp will by about 4 degrees too high compared to mashout. Not exactly the problem, but if my sparge water outpaces the trickle to the BK I turn off the water pump. At that point, there's no flow past the sensor, so the HLT will boil. I also use RO water now, and so I can't just add tap water to cool it off. I got "smart" today and set the HLT to 168, but then I turned off the pump again. Took all 4 gallons of RO water I had in reserve to cool it back down.

I cleaned out 3 more gallon jugs to fill up next time.

Don't walk away before checking valve position.

20220711_203715.jpg

20220711_203931.jpg

Back