Mint Mead... Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spafmagic

Reaction score
I am thinking of making some mint Mead... and I'm curious as to whether or not I should:
1. Introduce fresh crushed mint into the must before fermentation.
2. Introduce fresh -uncrushed-mint before fermentation,
3. Let the must ferment and then introduce the mint, either crushed or uncrushed, and let it sit... but for how long?

It's going to be in a 1 gallon jug.

If you can find it, mint honey makes an awesome mint mead.
I'm not sure where I would find it... But I have 2+ gallons of honey I just harvested from my bees, and mint plants in my garden. So, the original question still remains. =^_^=

I used to pick it up at an apiary. They were happy to sell it when they had it. It has such a strong color and flavor, it didn’t blend well into their commercial honey.

I would either make a mint tea with some of the water you will be blending with the water. Let it soak it up overnight. Bruise the leaves, don’t mangle them so you don’t get too much chlorophyll flavor.

The other route would be a mint-vodka tincture you can add to taste anytime during the process.

I would go light handed in the primary. Then maybe add in secondary.

I second the idea of the tincture

What kind of mint are you using?
Let us know how it turns out. By the end of summer I’m thinking of doing the same.

What kind of mint are you using?
I've got 2 spear mint plants.

My initial thought was to snip a whole stem full of leaves or two, and put it into the must before adding the yeast... in hopes for a strong mint flavor.

What is the tincture that has been mentioned? I don't believe I've actually heard of it.

Last year I made a mint tincture by chopping about a cup of mint leaves and soaking it in vodka in a 12 oz mason jar. I let it sit for a few weeks and then strained it off.

You can then add into individual bottles for a stronger flavor.

Be careful with spearmint. I think it can be a very strong flavor. It's easy to cross the line into mouthwash flavor if not careful.

With tinctures, you take the guess work out of the equation. Although I would still add some during fermentation.

Tincture is the flavor agent soaked in a neutral spirit for a day to a month or more. In your case I'd stuff as much mint as possible into a Mason jar, fill w vodka or ever clear and let sit for 3-4wks. Any extra that is not used for the mead can be used as a mint extract in baking etc.
When I make mint wine I do the hot tea method. Gallon of slightly packed leaves, gallon of water. Mint flavor and nose is still mild. I'm sure you'll get more flavor from a tincture.

Thank you peoples... I think I may in fact do both a tincture, and adding the live plant during fermentation as separate methods. And since a tincture is basically an extract, I can definitely find mint extract at a grocery store to save the time in soaking leaves.

this weekend I plan on getting some vodka and put 1 oz of dry spearmint in a quart and let it soak for a month . then pour what I need in a gallon of trad.

**Update**
So, I managed to get a good brew out of what I tried. Just 1 third honey to 2 thirds water, 71B yeast, and several mint stems with live bruised leaves in primary. Left it alone for a month and a week. Came to 9.45% ABV. Cold crashed it to get the brew to clear most of the way, but wouldn't finish clearing after a 2 weeks more. So, I pushed it through a full sized Sawyer water filter. Actually tasted much less yeasty after. It's smooth and you get the mint flavor second to the honey, ALMOST an after taste but stronger.

Back