Minimum for a small cidery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarret111

Reaction score
I’m in the very early process of opening a cidery and was wondering if anyone had ideas on the essential employees and equipment needed to run a small (nano) cidery.
Thank you in advance

It depends on how small the nano cidery is. Why can't one person do everything? Don't bottle anything, serve the cider from corny kegs and fill growlers if customers want to take some home. An owner/operator could make it work, trying to hire someone to do everything probably won't work. Finding good employees right now is going to be struggle if you can't compete on wages, benefits and working conditions.
Fall is approaching, gather some equipment, get some apples and see how much work is involved in making cider.

If you are serious about opening a cidery, you might try to get help from the HBT member, "LeBreton ".
Extremely knowledgeable about Cidery operations, and cider in general. I don't think he's been around much recently (for about a year and a half anyway) ... but you might try to contact him.

You can also check out his posts (do it from his profile goto "posts" ... not "recent activity") ... particularly his older posts. He seriously knows the business, and cider. Lots of information there.

Last edited:
Becoming very, very familiar with the licensing regulations for opening a cidery in your state should be your *very* FIRST step.

As reference ... where I live in Michigan becoming a small commercial hard cider producer requires a "Small Wine Maker" license ... you should carefully read the following information on our licensing ... your State is likely similar ...
https://www.michigan.gov/lara/-/med...bd7fb67&hash=9DE583C4FE0A8F276CF1DD750B68CB57

Last edited:
Back