Mini Step mashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here so bear with me.

I see recipes that have something like mash at 135 for 15 minutes 145 for 10 and 153 for 45 minutes.

What if I did a mini mash and started at 135 but slowly raised the temp (lke in an oven or something) up to 153 and let it sit for a while.

Same thing??? what am I missing. ???

There's no reason not to do it this way. Enzyme activity and denaturing vary gradually over temperature, so any particular choice of time/temperature is somewhat arbitrary. With the continuous/gradual approach, more of your conversion will probably be done at a lower temperature, so the result may be drier. Do it. Let us know how it works!

Dos Locos

I've never attempted a step mash with a PM (and it's been nearly a year since I've even done a PM recipe) so I'm not sure I'm of any help here.

Step mashing is normally accomplished (and probably most easily) with infusions of hot water to take the mash through temperature ranges that favor certain enzymes to achieve certain characteristics in the resultant wort.

Do you have a specific recipe in mind? That may help in hammering out the details of the infusions.

Back