Mini MLT ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning to get into AG by doing 1-2 gallon batches, since I'm an apartment dweller... Does anyone have ideas for a mini MLT? I've looked at mini coolers, and none of the ones I saw had spigots...

Thanks!

Don't let space keep you from doing full five gallon batches (unless you do not have storage), There are some condo/apartment dwellers who have mastered full AG brewing in small spaces.

If you are still looking at staying small scale, you could go full AG or even try partial mashing, where you use a combination of extract and grains. As far as coolers, there are 3 gallon round models available. Check places like target, walmart, and sporting good stores.

In your situation, I would even consider getting one of the five gallon rubbermaid drink coolers from Home Depot, this will give you some flexibility in making stronger beers if you want.

If you are having difficulty finding coolers with spigots in your area, it's not too difficult to drill a hole in the side of a cooler and add a ball valve. This thread might be of use to you.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice... My problem is not storing the 5 gal cooler, but doing a full boil in my kitchen. Maybe I could try the two step method...

I did look at a 3 gal round cooler, but the one I saw had "NO HOT BEVERAGES" stamped on the inside of the lid, which gave me visions of plastic chemicals leeching into the mash. Should I be concerned?

You could split the batches between two pots, or depending on the size of your stove, use a larger pot, and overlapping it on two burners.

I live in a loft with no greenspace or yard where I can do AG in 5 gallon batches..so I'm in the same boat as you...I've been playing with some things that you might be interested in.

You can do it for small batches even in a 2 gallon unmodified cooler...

11725.jpg

Read this article http://byo.com/feature/1536.html Also get one of these for the bottom of the cooler But unscrew or break off the center post.
4050L.jpg

(it's a refinement that he talked about on a podcast, it lifts the grainbag above the spigot and prevents stuck sparges.)

Then put a large grain bag in it and rubberband it to the outside edge of cooler. When you are mashing you wont be able to seal the lid tightly, but do it as tight as you can and cover the whole thing with a blanket to hold the temp.

That's how I am doing a PM as I write for a 5 gallon batch of brown ale...I just doughed in and am mashing...

But instead of it being a Partial Mash, you're doing a full volume boil...so use one of the brewing software programs that allows you to calculate recipes based on volume...

I'm working on a project that involves AG brewing in a MR Beer fermentor.... I'm trying to rescue mr beer users from the humiliation they get subjected too....:D My goal is to have someone win a GABF award using a MR Beer.....

Awesome -- great tips! Thanks!

Revvy said:
I'm working on a project that involves AG brewing in a MR Beer fermentor.... I'm trying to rescue mr beer users from the humiliation they get subjected too....:D My goal is to have someone win a GABF award using a MR Beer.....
LOL... They'll put the award really big on the box and use it to sell another million units.

Latest posts

Back