mini mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i was thinking about making a small mash tun out of a lunch box sized cooler to make small test batches. has anyone tried this yet and if so how did it work?

I have seen YouTube videos of people doing mini mlts with a two gallon cylindrical coolers. Maybe just a small braid in there and it can do it's job

When I do that I just use a regular 1 gal kitchen pot and lift the grain bag out when I need to raise temperature. Works just fine.

I have been thinking of taking 2, 1 gallon insulated jugs and making some all grain test batches out of them. My girlfriend and I have some really crazy recipes we'd like to try, but I have no interest in making 5 gallons of some of it without trying a small sample. If we could do a sixer of said recipe I would be fine with that. Plus who wouldn't want a 3 tier-1 gallon contraption sitting on their counter top?

I partial mash using a 2 gal cooler for 5 gal batches. I'm imagining when you say lunch box sized though you mean much smaller. I'm sure it would scale down fine. So if you just want to brew a 2 gal batch you could use something smaller than a gallon I guess.

phoenixs4r said:
Who wouldn't want a 3 tier-1 gallon contraption sitting on their counter top?

I just bought a small igloo cooler and like a 3 gallon stainless pot at a yard sale for this very reason!!!

Micro, Nano, home brewer, what do we call these one gallon breweries?

Back