Mini Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz5833

Reaction score
My son, who got me into brewing, has limited space and time and likes to do smaller batches. He really likes the simplicity that my 5 gallon Home Depot water cooler mash tun provides so I decided to build him a smaller version to meet his needs.

I started with a 2 gallon Igloo cooler shown here.

CIMG9159.jpg

Here are all the parts I used for the build.

CIMG9154-1.jpg

CIMG9155-1.jpg

CIMG9156-1.jpg

This is the only part that came from my own store of 'Stuff'. It's the drain plug from one of those really big coolers from Costco. I was originally going to squeeze in the correct sized copper tube like you see in other builds but I found these other commonly found Home Depot parts that fit it perfectly.

CIMG9157-1.jpg

Here is how the parts will be arranged after they are assembled.

CIMG9162.jpg

The first thing was to remove the original thumb valve.

CIMG9160.jpg

And replace it with the drain from a much larger Igloo Ice Chest.

CIMG9161.jpg

Then came the hose barb.

CIMG9164.jpg

Continued in next post

I then rolled a stainless steel wire around a small diameter rod and stretched it out to lenghth. This would support the inside of the SS braid.

CIMG9166.jpg

CIMG9165.jpg

I judged the length of the coiled SS wire so that it would be forced into the ends of the plastic tee.

CIMG9167.jpg

I deleted the SS Hose clamps shown in the earlier pics in favor of small zip ties.

The tee is then pushed into the drain plug. It fits very snug.

CIMG9168.jpg

Here is a look at the inside after it's all finished.

Back