Mini kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your first photo the middle keg seems to have the standard cap on it but with a single post installed on it. I've never seen this before and checked kegland's website and it does not exist there. Is this something you drilled yourself? do you use it for fermenting or carbonating?
I bought it on taobao. The China version of Amazon/eBay. If you buy the caps with pressure relief valve simply unscrew the valve and mount a keg gas fitting. Just use it for carbonation.
【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.fLedqaO?tk=gNRq25YAAGi「二发加压加气盖keg桶螺纹盖带快接头接气瓶精酿家酿啤酒零配件」
点击链接直接打开

Attachments

• 62359602-CA2B-449D-92DD-0D443553353C.png
    62359602-CA2B-449D-92DD-0D443553353C.png
    746.5 KB · Views: 10
Sometime in late May or early June, Williams Brewing briefly had the Kegland 8L oxebar polymer kegs for sale in the US, but they sold out almost immediately. Anyone get one? I'm curious to hear feedback and plan on trying them out whenever they are available again.

Sometime in late May or early June, Williams Brewing briefly had the Kegland 8L oxebar polymer kegs for sale in the US, but they sold out almost immediately. Anyone get one? I'm curious to hear feedback and plan on trying them out whenever they are available again.
It seems pretty cool but once you pay for the bottle and "optional tapping head" it all comes to just a little less than what a used stainless 5 gallon corny keg can be had for. Also the stainless corny keg will last almost indefinitely. I don't really see these lasting too long. I suppose there is a use for them if you were to sell your beer or something.
Curious to see how well these are going to be received as they did sell out fast.
DMF

Yes, $25 for the tapping head & 8L bottle versus $45 for used keg (of varying quality and cleanliness).

So not much of a price difference, but for me, the smaller size is part of the appeal. I often have 1-2 gallons leftover after kegging. This allows me to just mini-keg that extra rather than bottling. I can't find good mini-keg options at anywhere near that price (because there aren't thousands of leftover mini-kegs formerly used for soda being sold off).

Plus, I think the 8L will be an easier way to share kegged beer with friends or save 2 gallons to add to the kegerator once the original 5 gallon keg blows.

And I suspect you may be able to get by with a smaller number of tapping heads by swapping them out.

Last edited:
They're not available in the US yet, but I am interested to test out these 8 liter polymer kegs from KegLand as a cheap, short-term kegging option ..........

https://www.kegland.com.au/8l-oxebar-mono-polymer-keg-with-cap.html
https://www.kegland.com.au/pco38-hydra-tapping-head-lid-only.html

@GoodTruble, Home Brewing Supplies and Home Brewing Kits carries the oxebar PET kegs, They are currently out of stock, but should have some in August. They also carry 64 oz PET bottles, I purchased some and they work very nice. You can purchase the Plastic corni posts along with the double connector. You can use standard co2 ball lock QD connects with your co2 bottle.

2.5 Liter PET Growler Bottles (Case of 9)

Carbonation Cap Tee Adapter

Red Carbonation & Cleaning Cap

Cheers

Joe

Thanks! I was tempted by those same 64 oz (mainly just make bottling the excess faster). But for me, they fall on the "large bottle/growler" rather than "mini-keg" side. Mainly because I just don't see it being worth hooking 64 oz up to a tap versus just pouring. Maybe in some circumstances it would, but not many (at least not for me).

Off the subject - anyone know why the photos are posting blurry with the photo name at the bottom? Just uploading standard jpegs, something has changed. They used to post clear. Some still do.

My vote is for a 1.75 gallon size. Here’s a photo of my office keg:

I am going to go out on a limb and say that setup costs more than $25. :D

I am pretty excited about the new KegLand "kegs". I brew a lot of small batches. It is really hard to justify the $60 to $100+ for small kegs...especially when you want multiple. I am actually a bit more interested in the 4L kegs mentioned in the video (that I have not seen any signs of actually existing) as I already have several 10L Torpedo kegs ($80 each when I purchased mine, now in the $110 range!!!).

anyone know why the photos are posting blurry with the photo name at the bottom?

Not sure. There is always the option to insert a thumbnail or a full size image. Your thumbnails looks clear to me and I see a clear image when I click on the thumbnail.

It seems pretty cool but once you pay for the bottle and "optional tapping head" it all comes to just a little less than what a used stainless 5 gallon corny keg can be had for. Also the stainless corny keg will last almost indefinitely. I don't really see these lasting too long. I suppose there is a use for them if you were to sell your beer or something.
Curious to see how well these are going to be received as they did sell out fast.
DMF

As long as you don't beat them up or pour hot liquid into them they are plenty durable. Not SS durable admittedly.

This is the third or fourth time these systems have been rolled out for homebrewing. The last one I recall was the party pig which was this but a 2.5 gallon vessel that used an expanding bladder to keep pressure. The bladders were pretty expensive at the time but the plastic kegs certainly held up. I have three of them which I use off and on like casks. One held a stout for five years and maintained pressure with no problems at all. (I am considering modifying them for a CO2 port.)

Well I know this thread is several months in hibernation but I got 2 of these kegs/bottles & a tapping head coming this week. I’ve got several kegs but I think this will be good for taking beer camping and stuff so you’re not dragging a keg and big Co2 bottle around. For you guys that’s had them for a while how you feeling about them?

Well I know this thread is several months in hibernation but I got 2 of these kegs/bottles & a tapping head coming this week. I’ve got several kegs but I think this will be good for taking beer camping and stuff so you’re not dragging a keg and big Co2 bottle around. For you guys that’s had them for a while how you feeling about them?

Well I really like them I have 9 and two taps which means I have usually two different on tap at the one time . They are easy to keep in a domestic fridge and for me I can see one off over a weekend and if you have a couple of mates over for the night one does the trick. I can take one to my friends house but he does not live far away and the road is very smooth I think taking them camping is a stretch as the sediment will be kicked up. I thought about a corny keg system but apart from the cost and the size of them makes them impractical for me but the little mini keg does well ... horses for courses though I suppose?
One thing is that you cannot pressurise these like you would a corny about 15g of sugar max for conditioning the beer.

Last edited:
Well I really like them I have 9 and two taps which means I have usually two different on tap at the one time . They are easy to keep in a domestic fridge and for me I can see one off over a weekend and if you have a couple of mates over for the night one does the trick. I can take one to my friends house but he does not live far away and the road is very smooth I think taking them camping is a stretch as the sediment will be kicked up. I thought about a corny keg system but apart from the cost and the size of them makes them impractical for me but the little mini keg does well ... horses for courses though I suppose?
One thing is that you cannot pressurise these like you would a corny about 15g of sugar max for conditioning the beer.
Ever force carb one? That would help with the sediment.

I've 'kegged' in them several times. They work and hold pressure well. I've encountered small air leaks where the caps screw onto the tapping head. Those can be a bit touchy, and I used plumbers tape when I couldn't manage to get an airtight seal just by screwing/unscrewing. I'm yet to have any liquid leak, but note, because of the tube and elbow joint, you have very limited abiltiy to screw/unscrew the liquid cap once it's assembled. So need to get that one right on the front end, or it's tricky to fix.

Also, I unintentionally wound up spunding a couple of beers in these that I thought were done fermenting, but the increasing pressure buildup (which is easily detectable by just feeling the sides each day) said otherwise. But it was never a problem because you can just feel the pressure build up and use the pressure release valve to vent a little bit as needed. These seem to hold pressure really well (as long as you check for leaks early - I had one beer that I discovered three days later had a leak, so most of the priming sugar was used up but no carbonation due to the leak. That was the only beer I've tried to carb with priming sugar in one of these. The rest were force carbed).

But I like them and will definitely keep using them for certain purposes (mostly friends home taps).

Also, the carrier handle can't fully extend on the front-side of the tapping head (cap-side). You need to swing it around the back when the tapping head is on. It has not happened to me, but I could see the extending handle putting too much pressure on the cap-side of a full keg and breaking the seal and/or cracking the plastic head. I don't think these things are durable enough to handle much rough or careless treatment when full.

Last edited:
Not exactly the same thing, but I got myself one of these 64 oz Ukegs that I use for taking beer to homebrew club meetings or to take beer outside on the patio, etc. They are also great when you go to your local brewpub. You can bring home a pressurized growler. This is the more basic less fancy version that doesn’t have the sight glass on the outside and all that.

They still need a CO2 cartridge consumable each time you use it. I only use it once or twice a month so thats been manageable. Overall, I really like it. They also make a 128 oz version. The 64 oz works better for me for what I use it for.

https://www.growlerwerks.com/produc...MI_JHdj9PM_AIVjoTICh0hWwCXEAQYCSABEgKxEfD_BwE

Back