Mini Keg questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Looking into a mini keg to take my beer to partys, camping and judgings.

How important is closed transfer to the mini keg to avoid oxidation if the beer will be consumed in the next few days?

I am really interested in the Vevor 270oz model because it includes everything except a c02 cart.

My friend got one that has ball lock posts on it so he can closed transfer into it. This one costs more and I dont like the way it looks.

I dont ever plan on keeping the beer in the mini keg for more than a week - if that.

What do you guys think? Do you think a closed transfer from a serving keg into the mini would be that much better than just pouring the beer into the keg?

I don't think a mini keg is all that different from a growler. They're great for beers that taste good for only a couple gallons. What you're proposing is a brilliant idea. In your situation, I would try filling it just like I would a growler. Of course there would have to be some modification to the growler filler to hit the bottom of the keg. Then purge with CO2 and Bob's your uncle.

If that doesn't work out in your favor or you think you'll need this beer around for more than a week, a closed transfer would probably be my next attempt.

When I want to take a keg somewhere, I will take off the lid, drop a CO2 hose completely to the bottom and fill the keg with co2. Now, drop your beer hose completely into the bottom of the keg and fill with your beer. As you fill it with beer, it will push up and out the CO2 gas. Now close the lid and Purge with more CO2 through the CO2 post. Voila! I've never had a problem with it oxidating and I have had them on trips with me for up to 3 weeks.

I don't think a mini keg is all that different from a growler. They're great for beers that taste good for only a couple gallons. What you're proposing is a brilliant idea. In your situation, I would try filling it just like I would a growler. Of course there would have to be some modification to the growler filler to hit the bottom of the keg. Then purge with CO2 and Bob's your uncle.

If that doesn't work out in your favor or you think you'll need this beer around for more than a week, a closed transfer would probably be my next attempt.
Actually a mini keg like the model he is talking about is exactly the same as a regular keg, just smaller. Not like a growler at all, it has a lid with corny connections and you carb and serve out of it same as 5 gallon corny kegs.

What do you guys think of this? KegLand Counter Pressure Bottle Filler (Duotight Compatible) | MoreBeer

Using this to fill bottles and mini keg from corny serving keg
You don't need anything as complicated. Because my keezer is filled with kegs of varying sizes, where a lot of people will bottle the remains of a keg when they need to free it for a brew that is finishing up, I will frequently just move beer down to a smaller sized keg. Here's what you do. Purge the mini keg the same as how you would purge any other keg. Fill the mini keg with gas one or two psi below the keg that you plan to fill it from (or fill to the same but give a quick release or two of the prv before the next step.
unhook the existing keg if it's hooked up in your keezer and place the two kegs beside each other but with the mini keg below the other one. prepare two lines both long enough to reach between the posts on the two kegs. Connect beer out to beer out and gas in to gas in. The pressure differential will start beer transferring and the gravity will keep it going, as the mini keg fills the gas will flow back into the larger keg so the beer will keep flowing as the pressure deferential will continue to encourage the transfer. Worst case it may slow down one or two times, if that happens just pull the prv again on the mini keg a bit and the flow should start up again. Absolute worst case you may need to temporarily give the larger keg an additional squirt of co2 from your bottle.

voila, o2 free transfer just using a couple feet of beer line and four disconnects.

Here’s a picture of my office keg. Works great!

Attachments

• A489671A-D79B-40EC-A970-E8D443EBA385.jpeg
    A489671A-D79B-40EC-A970-E8D443EBA385.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Actually a mini keg like the model he is talking about is exactly the same as a regular keg, just smaller. Not like a growler at all, it has a lid with corny connections and you carb and serve out of it same as 5 gallon corny kegs.

I have two of them myself. The similarity I was talking about is in size and portability. I've never filled one like you would a growler, only used them in the conventional manner. I was implying that, in theory, you could fill one like a growler and bring it with you just like a growler.

Back