Mini Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnarubex

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a mini fridge for lagering and general temperature control during fermenting and bottle conditioning. I want to add an external thermostat for greater temperature control. Any ideas on what fridge and thermostat would be good, or will just any standard issue Wal-Mart mini fridge and thermostat work well?

My parents have a nice wine cooler at their place that seems like it would fit a carboy or keg. If you could remove all the racks inside of it, I think it would serve your purposes - it has the temperate control thing and it looks really nice.

Just search "wine fridge" on Google.

If that's too pricey, I think a mini fridge from the store would work well too.

Mark

Make sure you have exact measurements before you buy a Mini-Fridge.... I pulled out one that I have had just sitting around and tried to make it work.... It wasn't big enough no matter what I did. Not for a 6 g bucket OR a 6.5 glass carboy. There is a bottom shelf in mine that is "cut out" (offset) from the interior space to allow for the compressor in the back that makes it impossible to be used. I have resolved to get an old chest freezer or a large capacity fridge... Thinking I prefer the chest freezer..... My $0.02 worth

Just noticed you are from Columbia also.... Getting ready for the heXX temps we get here over the summer, Huh.... :(

I have been very satisfied with a 7.2 cu/ft chest freezer

You can get a 5 to 7 cu/ft on sale at Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart
for under $200 if you watch for sales. Or keep an eye out on craigslist.

I have the Ranco single stage thermostat which is working well.

My basement is normally 62-68 depending on season. It works well
for ales. The Keezer has been nice for lagering and I keep it pretty
full of various bottles to keep chilled. It also helps the efficiency

I just picked up a 7cf chest freezer on CL and ordered a A419 Controller on Amazon. I plan on getting it dialed in in time for my next batch. Looking forward to it.

Yea, I'm not looking forward to seeing how hot it's going to be this year. I also want to expand the styles I can make and have a bit more control. Right now my beer ferments and conditions on a shelf over the dryer. Now I'm no scientist but I know it's not the best for temperature control.

Pabst, are you involved with a brew club or anything around here?

I have the Ranco single stage thermostat which is working well.

I have been looking at the Ranco, pre wired also... Looks like about $80.00 +/-. In my younger days I would have tried to wire it myself... Now, I just want to plug it in and have it work... ;)

Pabst, are you involved with a brew club or anything around here?

I just today googled to see if there was anything local... it doesn't look promising. Maybe we should get something going.... Was out at Betmar picking up yeast today and there were 4 people in there all buying over $100.00 worth of supplies....

Gunna & Pabst...PSB is still very much active. In addition to monthly meetings, the club hosts spring/fall parties, an annual beer trip to breweries, brew sessions hosted by members, and competes against other brew clubs in NC/SC. Come & check it out sometime. Membership is only $20/yr.

Latest posts

Back