Mini-Fridge Ferm chamber: To bend break or build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a mini-fridge from wally world online that I thought would have a removable freezer... it does not... but I like the fridge in general and would like to keep it and mod it myself to be a ferm chamber...

So my options are
a) bend the freezer back - would still be a tight fit with carboys, but would work, also risk of bricking the whole thing
b) cut off the door molding - might not fit some bigger fermenters need to examine more
c) build a collar - most work, not the most handy guy, but i think i could pull it off

What are your thoughts?

Is the "freezer" a plastic tray with the cooling plate right below it?

If so, I just removed the tray and bent the plate down to be parallel with the back vertical wall. Worked fine for me.

I also had to cut off the plastic in the inner side of the door to fit a 6.5 gallon carboy

It has a coolant line going into it which is what really worries me... I don't want to screw up and pinch it and totally screw up the fridge

I built my chamber from plywood, 2x4's, insulation foam and a Johnson controller. I took the door off and built it into one side of the chamber.
IMG_0220_zpsf450b6a8.jpg

It has a coolant line going into it which is what really worries me... I don't want to screw up and pinch it and totally screw up the fridge

use both hands with firm and gentle pressure over a good length of the line. It will bend into place. If you just grab it and shove it then its more likely to kink.

After assessing the situation, i really think the collar is the best bet... even if i removed the door, it would not be wide enough to fit wider ferm buckets, the bending, while seemingly easy, is a high risk situation, I think I can extend the door with 2x4s relatively easily, and the extra room should not keep it from being able to reach lagering temperatures

Latest posts

Back