Milling twice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Going to get grains for the first time today. My LHBS said they have a mill I can use. Im doing BIAB. So I should mill twice,correct? Are you supposed to adjust the rollers for the 2nd mill? If they let me and probably wont. If not does sending the grain through twice on the same setting do anything.my mill is coming for Christmas :D

Going to get grains for the first time today. My LHBS said they have a mill I can use. Im doing BIAB. So I should mill twice,correct? Are you supposed to adjust the rollers for the 2nd mill? If they let me and probably wont. If not does sending the grain through twice on the same setting do anything.my mill is coming for Christmas :D

Just mill twice at the current setting. Changing the gap is a bit of a pain.

For what its worth. I exclusively do all grain BIAB with my own hand cranked mill. I think its set at 0.035 (decimal point may need to be moved, I havent changed it since it arrived at my door) and its been working just fine. I;ve tried double milling some malts, but it seems to almost powderize them for me. The only thing I double mill now is golden naked oats since they are so damn slim

My approach is to do a first pass at 0.035 and a second pass at 0.010. Bought a cheap feeler gauge to make the adjustments.

You can run it through the LHBS mill twice. If you're not happy with it, put it in your blender at home to finish the job. Just pulse it a few times.

My approach is to do a first pass at 0.035 and a second pass at 0.010. Bought a cheap feeler gauge to make the adjustments.

You can run it through the LHBS mill twice. If you're not happy with it, put it in your blender at home to finish the job. Just pulse it a few times.

Wow, thats a fine crush sir. So I remember you do BIAB like me, have you noticed any improvement in efficiency or any issues from grinding it so finely?

0.010 is very tight. It will make a lot of powder, which is no problem if you're doing BIAB.

Do NOT put dry grain in a blender. It will burn out the bearing in no time. It relies on liquids for lubrication and cooling.

Now using a food processor should be fine, but heck, a pound/quart at a time...

Are you buying their grain? Then yes, they should have a mill too. Some will mill it for you, but I prefer when they allow you to mill your own. Just don't stick your hands or anything else than grain in that hopper! Only a few places are nice enough to adjust or let you adjust the mill. I use 0.032-34 (credit card thickness) for most barley. 0.024-0.028 for wheat, rye, and most other small kernels. Sometimes even finer, like those golden naked oats...

Wow, thats a fine crush sir. So I remember you do BIAB like me, have you noticed any improvement in efficiency or any issues from grinding it so finely?

Efficiency improved by about 10% from previous crush at 0.038. No issues to speak of. Just gotta be aware of dough balls and have a stiff whisk handy when doughing in.

Back