Milling grain location in Home brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synonymous18

Reaction score
Looking for input on whether I need to attempt to locate my monster mill setup in a different room than my brewery. Should I have a closet put in and do it in there?

I mill outside to keep the dust down, although there isn't all that much as the (custom) milling base board makes a pretty good seal with the bucket underneath.

Then when I'm pouring the milled grain into the mash tun there's a huge plume of dust, and that's right in the brewery, being my kitchen. To avoid that, I was thinking of doughing in outside, but the logistics for that are not friendly.

Many use a small "milling cabinet," with the receiving bucket behind the closed door. Look around, they can be really nice. They mill in their brewery or "grain storage" area.

As long as it's away from fermentation it's fine.
I actually mill in my shed where I brew and ferment (in a chest freezer) and have not had a problem, however that's mostly because I keep the door and garage door open during the session..keeps a nice breeze going through

Probably a different room. Grains have lactobacillus on the husk, which can and will sour a beer quickly, however it is killed off during the boil if you mill close to where you ferment, there's a chance it could get into the fermenter and sour your beer.

Probably a different room. Grains have lactobacillus on the husk, which can and will sour a beer quickly, however it is killed off during the boil if you mill close to where you ferment, there's a chance it could get into the fermenter and sour your beer.

I've had this happen before, now I mill outside

By the time I bought my own mill I had already read enough about random lacto infections (and watched a Youtube video of someone dry-milling in a cloud of dust) to motivate me to mill outside.
Fortunately it's not much of a burden as my brewing area has a door out to a patio and my mill is wheeled.

Also, conditioning really cuts the dust down no matter where one mills...

Cheers!

I mill right next to everything. I used a kitchen cabinet. So my grain falls into that. Really controls the dust. I turn on my vent hood while milling to create postive pressure and pull the dust towards my brew kettles and away from fermentation area. No infections for 3 years doing this.

I mill right in my brew area. I do keep my fermentation chamber door closed. I've never had any issues.

Latest posts

Back