Mill specialty grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
If I'm doing an extract batch with a small amount of specialty grains do the grains need to be milled or can I steep them whole?

They need to be milled, broken into small pieces, or you'll get 0.0 extraction.

You could use a grain mill, mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, food processor with sharp blade, perhaps blender, or put in a plastic bag and use hammer, dough roller, etc.

Wish I'd heard food processor as a suggestion back when I was doing extract. I feel dumb, I tried a bunch of stupid stuff like a rolling pin or hammer among other things. Pain in the neck. My wife has a kickass processor that sat on the shelf the whole time...

I've got a grain mill, but it's still packed from the move.
I'm having to start over with extracts for a while and will probably add some specialty grains in the 2nd or 3rd go.

LHBS anywhere near that can mill it for you? Yes you do need to crack the hulls of the specialty malts. I have been using a $20 corona style mill for 7+ years. On Amazon they are listed as corn mills. FWIW. I have used specialty grains in all my extract brews. I believe it adds a lot over extracts only.

Latest posts

Back