Mill problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
So our mill has had an absolute ton of grain through it and it no longer pulls the grain down through to crush it. It just spins and spins and spins but the grain just sits on top, not going into the gap. I believe we have worn the knurls down on the rollers too much. Is this possible? Has anyone ever experienced this? What else could be causing the mill to just sit there and spin, spin, spin but the grain to continue to just lay in the gap and not get pulled down in? I'm wondering if I can purchase replacement rollers and be okay...

I'd say you're probably correct in your assumption.

Can you tighten the gap any further and see if that helps any?

Yes, I wore out a very early model of 2 roller monster mill. Knurls were worn down to the point the mill failed. I do 30 gallon batches and it was 7 years old. I bought a new one with 2" hardened rollers. It mills 60# in about 5 min. Unfortunately replacement rollers cost about as much as a new mill.

@psylocide, changing the gap doesn't seem to be helping.

@blizz81, nope, both of them are free spinning.

I put over 200 ten gallon batches through it running our taproom until we got our 7bbl system and mill for it, so I guess it's no surprise it's pretty much worn out.

Unfortunately our Sabco Brew Magic needs such a huge, coarse crush that I don't think I can use my commercial mill for our 7bbl system to mill the grain for our pilot batches.

Latest posts

Back