Mill Gap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I received a MM2 for Christmas. I assembled it and read a portion of the paperwork and noted it is factory set at 0.045" and is said to be a good setting. It seems I read more often that a tighter gap is more common.

My understanding is that a smaller gap will give a higher efficiency but can cause sparging issues if it's crushed too much.

I like good efficiency and doubt that sparging will be much of a problem.

It seems I've read a common credit card is used as feeler gauge. What is the gap with this?

On one hand, if you are getting good efficiency, why mess with it? OTOH, you could experiment a bit, try tightening the gap and see how that affects efficiency. Maybe bring it in to about .030-.035 and see what you get.

Those who do BIAB often find benefit in a finer crush (stuck sparges aren't an issue for them).

A cheap feeler gauge from an auto parts store is helpful, btw. Takes out the guesswork.

I also received an MM2 as a Christmas present and the rollers came loose and I now have to re-adjust the setting. I was also wondering what the gap of a credit cars was, and found the answer here. I am going to aim for 0.40, which from what I understand should be just a little wider than a credit card, and see how that works. Can't wait to try my first grain crush and 2nd AG brew!

I've not crushed my own grains, but have always dealt with HBS crush (no telling). I'm wondering if changing the setting to credit card width would get me close to what I've been getting, and that leaving it would drop the efficiency.

I get the majority of my stuff from MoreBeer. Maybe I ought to ask what their setting is...

Back