Mill gap Setting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I just got a Monster mill 2 2.0! I need help figuring out the right gap setting for pale ale and pilsner malt (my next brew). My LHBS does a pretty coarse grind but I have them mill twice and I was getting ~80% efficiency doing batch sparging.

I would like to have a good gap setting so I can mill the grain just once and get in the 75-80% range for this next brew. Any suggested gap settings? I have no idea where to start with that other than blowing through a bunch of grain doing trial and error testing.

Cheers!
Steve

You'll likely get a nice crush with the factory gap (.045"). Fred at Monster recommended .040" to me when I got mine, which I set mine to and I consistently get 78% efficiency with a double batch sparge. Your mileage may vary...you won't know on your setup until you brew a batch. I'm not sure that you'd want to go much finer than that, but some are into pulverizing their malt.

yeah my grain mill came set on 0.032 and Ive never changed it. It may help with some special malts (Golden Naked Oats) to lessen it, but I dont bother since I like where its at now. Works great for all Barley Wheat and Rye malts.

How fine you can go will depend on your system. Braids and manifolds, IIRC, need a courser crush, False bottoms can go finer, BIAB you can pulverize. I use a false bottom in a keggle and use .032, and when I tried .030, I got a stuck sparge. You can go finer still if you want to add rice hulls to your mash.

I brew with a 30-gallon 3-vessel eherms system and fly sparge. I have a .034 setting on my mm2-2.0. I don't condition grain. Works just fine. I run high-70s to 81% eff on average across different beer styles and gravities(1.040 to 1.085). I drive the mill with a drill at approximately 200-250 rpm. I have the hardened rollers as well, if that makes any difference.

thanks for the info guys. I do cooler mash tun with a stainless braid for the filter at the moment. Sounds like I should make sure it's set at .032" and run with it for batch one. Thanks!

huh, my cereal killer is set to .027 measured with feeler gages. I use a bazooka tube and still don't get that great of efficiency, low 70's.

upon further review maybe it was .037, i'll have to check next time i get it out.

My barley crusher is set at .032" I believe. It's no higher than that.

Just tested my MM2 out today at .029 gapped. Went from less then 60% efficiency from my LHBS to 87% efficiency on my batch sparge system. Looks like my gap is a bit tighter then everyone else's here.

I do BIAB with a small pour over sparge (not full volume mash.) I set my Barley Crusher at 0.016" gap. On last two brews I got 89% & 84% mash/lauter efficiency.

Brew on :mug:

Back