Mill adjustment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1966

Reaction score
I just purchased a barley crusher mill. It came preset a .039. How do I know what I need to set the gap at for different grains? The homebrew shop where I go seems to leave there's at the same setting al the time. Do I need to change it or just leave it alone?

The factory setting is at .039, which is a pretty good setting. I took mine down to .035, but I wouldn't go lower than that.

The adjustment procedures are in the care instructions. You'll need a feeler set that you can pick up at an auto parts store.

IIRC, there are set screws on the front to loosen, then you adjust the knobs - one to 1 oclock, the other to 11 o'clock - and tighten.

When I received my Barley Crusher, the rollers weren't parallel. Do a quick check with feeler gauges before using it for the first time. As others have said, their standard .039" is a good gap.

Back