Milk Stout / Lactose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I brewed a Milk Stout and I'm going to add the lactose at bottling time. Do I still need to add priming sugar to my Milk Stout or is the lactose vertually unfermentable? I don't want exploding bottles. Thanks.

Cheers! :mug:

Thats what I thought. I ask because Beer Smith says, "Not fully fermentable," implying that its partially fermentable, and it affects the Beer Smith calculations in gravity obviously but also in ABV.

You don't want a lot of priming sugar anyway so do a little research on that one. Also - MAKE SURE you tell people it has lactose. You don' t want anybody getting sick who are lactose intolerant.

I put mine in at the beginning of the boil - not sure if it makes a difference.

Probably not. I usually add with 10 minutes left in the boil to dissolve/sanitize.

10 minutes out from flameout is also when I kick the March pump on to recirculate through the CFC and tubing to sanitize and drop in a Whirfloc tablet, so it's a convenient time for any adjuncts that I may be adding.

Back