Milk O'Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertmeyer

Reaction score
I have copied this recipe from oteixeira's Milk O'Stout http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/10856/milk-ostout, so first of all I would like to give him credit for posting it on beersmith.com. This is my first AG recipe, and I performed in a Brew In A Bag (BIAB) Method.

Multi-Mash Method: 115 F/20 min, 140 F/35 min, 158 F/35 min, and additionally 152 F-148 F/30 min.

8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)
1.5 oz Fuggles [3.8%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Fuggles [3.8%] - Boil 30 min
1 pkgs Safale S-04

I omitted the rice hulls because I believe they are used to prevent clogs, and I do not have a mash tun, and I used a BIAB method. I changed the yeast from Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) to Safale s-04. My reasoning behind this according to the PDF for Safale-04 I could leave it at a higher temperature due to my fermenter being at room temp @ 72 degrees.

I performed one mistake, which is I transferred the wort to the pale bucket before cooling it off, and then realizing that I need to cool it off to 68 degrees, so I transferred it back to the metal pot because I needed it to submerged into a larger bucket of ice for efficient cold/heat transfer.

I am really excited about this recipe, and has anyone is has anybody made this mistake before? and it turned out horrible/decent/ good/ great? :mug: Cheers!

I was just posting the original recipe from beersmith.com to give credit to the person who constructed the recipe. Because I used a BIAB method, I did omit the rice hulls. If any one wanted to use the recipe, I wanted everyone to have the original recipe.

Full disclosure:I am new at brewing AG, and for some reason the final gravity set at 1.024. I believe this happened because I was trying to cool down the temperature during fermentation from 74 degrees to 66 degrees, and caused a temperature shock, which made the yeast dormant. Since the the FG was at 1.024, I decided to place in 22 oz bottles to carb up. My reasoning is because of the space. If the yeast decided to activate, they would have enough space for CO2. As of right now, I have no bottle bomb.

This beer taste awesome! Well-balanced with the bitterness, sweetness and chocolaty notes.

Next time I will not mess with the temps to get the FG all the way down to 1.014.

The of is high because of the lactose. Lactose sugar is non fermentable. I doubt it would get much lower than where your at.

The of is high because of the lactose. Lactose sugar is non fermentable. I doubt it would get much lower than where your at.

I did not know that lactose was not a fermentable. Thanks for the clarification! I guess my efficiency was not as good with the BIAB method. I did test the PH test, and (I think) the water measured above 5.4. Again Thanks!

Back