Milk Mead? (Not whey)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spafmagic

Reaction score
I have been searching online for any attempts by people to make Mead, using milk before I do it myself. Not the byproduct whey that you get after making cheese... actual whole milk. Couldn't find any instances.

Has any one here attempted it?

Will the milk go bad due to the temperature, or be preserved because of the CO2?

It's not a good idea.

I haven't tried it, but I happen to know a dairy professional, and she says that it's not going to turn out well.

Most of the time when you make whey you remove a lot of fat. Keeping the fat in there makes it likely to go rancid.

At a pH of around 4.6 the casein proteins will coagulate as well, likely leaving you with a murky liquid. I don't actually know what pH wine and mead usually finish out at, so someone else would have to comment on that.

Maybe boil up some skim milk and then add the honey?

I was hoping not to use "white water" for it. Wanted to keep a good bit of the creamy taste to the milk, similar to kefir... but with some flavor extracts to liven it up a little.

You might want to try just making kefir but with some honey and the flavor extracts you're referring to. Yeast can't break down lactose (hence why it's used for backsweetening in some beers), so you need bacteria to break it down for them, which is where kefir grains come in handy.
That is, unless you're not wanting to ferment the milk, in which case I have no idea.

Back