Military Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ma2brew said:
4 years, 8 months in the USN, never stepped foot on a boat the whole time:D .

P-3 Orion Weapons Systems Tech, no tailhooks. Over 3 years "sea" duty. 2 tours to Diego Garcia, a couple to Kadena, and a few months in Al Masirah, Oman, during Bush I's reign.

(edited to correct service time)

My first Chief in Whidbey Island Retired after twenty years with out ever stepping foot on a boat. He had about 19 years in when i got back from my first boat det (6 week work up) and I saw him in our shop and said "Hey Chief, I got more sea time then you now" His response "You'll never have more sea time than me", Me " No i mean REAL sea time chief!" He just walked away after that.

Where were you stationed out of? Jax?

BleedsDogFish said:
2002-2006 USAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Spent most of enlistment in Dover AFB, been to nearly every country that ends in STAN.

I was stationed in Dover from 1996-200, C-5 crew chief. I went TDY three times, every one of them stateside.

SWMBO's friends' husband is EOD, lots of stories there.

USAF Active Duty 2004-2010
Job: 2F051 Fuels

Been stationed at
Grand Forks AFB ND
Kadena AB Okinawa Japan
Dyess AFB Abilene TX

Been TDY/Deployed to
Incirlik AB Turkey
Elemdorf AFB AK
Manas AB Kyrgyzstan (currently at)

Lil' Sparky said:
1997-present, USAF, 33S Comm Officer

I see your in College Station, are there any ANG bases near there? When I get out in 2010 I'm planning on going to T A&M and would like to go ANG while I attend school.

Any Blue nose, Red nose, Order of the Ditch, Order of the Rock or any others out there, there has to be some other sailors out there who have been to sea.

I did the ditch and the rock, several times, but i never really thought either event was cool enough to be considered an 'order.' On my first gulf cruise they handed out all these little fancy cards at the end that said "order of the rock", "order of the ditch" but i thought they were kind of cheesey. I got my shellback and they gave everyone a big certificate. I cherish that and i have it framed. They actually throw a page in your service record saying you earned your shellback.

I have been on my ship since 04 and i am a sea going SOB. Two 6 month gulf deployments, two 6 week mini deployments to the UK/ Scotland area and a TON of other trips to various CONUS ports. Off the top of my head, i would say i have been to about 20 different overseas ports spreadout over about 14 countries. Its been fun, but i am so ready to get off this ship. I have every qual possible, many of which are out of my paygrade and rate, done every type of inspection or evaluation multiple times, and been to Dubai and Jebal Ali enough times to navigate the streets without asking for directions or using a map. I have done pretty much everything there is to do here and I am SO READY to start doing something else!

Seabee John said:
Welcome Aboard. what did you do for the canoe club? I've been a Bee for all 16 years and hopefully I'll be a chief here by fall. Found out today I made board.

Just noticed your reply.

I was an ET, worked radar and comm, mostly at air stations and carriers. Retired as a CPO in '97. Still doing the same line of work pretty much, for one of those "big oil" companies, in Alaska, hence the 'frozen' in my nick.

Congratulations on being board eligible, and good luck with the board !

Mustangfreak said:
I see your in College Station, are there any ANG bases near there? When I get out in 2010 I'm planning on going to T A&M and would like to go ANG while I attend school.

None that I know of close by. Probably the closest one is in Houston, but I could be wrong about that.

Frozentech said:
Just noticed your reply.

I was an ET, worked radar and comm, mostly at air stations and carriers. Retired as a CPO in '97. Still doing the same line of work pretty much, for one of those "big oil" companies, in Alaska, hence the 'frozen' in my nick.

Congratulations on being board eligible, and good luck with the board !

I often thought of living in Alaska, made it to Adak on my first deployment. Do you live and work there full time or live south and spend a month here or there? It's funny you mentioned working for "Big Oil" I'm 35, and just sold my business to go back to school full time. I'm trying to get my Mechanical Engineering degree so I can go work for Big Oil too... hell I'll work for Big Anything as long as the pay is right.

As far as the board goes, we (the bees) have been growing and they left 11 quotas unfilled last year, so my hopes are up. we'll see.

not a vet of anything but im in the marine corps, going on 4 years (how have i not been sent!?) but ive done two JTF (joint task force) missions which were border patrol so hell yeah for that.

USN (May,1999-Present)

MMNC - Nuclear Trained Chief Machinist Mate

Great Lakes, IL - Training
Charleston, SC - Training
Ballston Spa, NY - Training
Groton, CT - USS Connecticut (SSN-22)
3 - North Atlantic runs
2 - Deployments
Blue Nose, Order of the Rock, Order of Magellean, Order of the Dragon

Charleston, SC - Director of Training Division

USN 1991 to present

Sonar Technician Surface

Stationed:
Ford Island, HI
Dam Neck, VA
Sigonella, Italy
Whidbey Island, WA
Norfolk, VA
Portsmouth, VA

Deployed/TDY:
Guatemala
Korea
Kuwait (next month)

US Army 2000- Present
11B or Wanna-be

SFOR 12 (Bosina)
OIF 4
Back to the sand box early fall this year...

Dang, its been like 9 months since I've posted, somebody kick me in the A@@.

Thor the Mighty said:
not a vet of anything but im in the marine corps, going on 4 years (how have i not been sent!?) but ive done two JTF (joint task force) missions which were border patrol so hell yeah for that.

Hey I spent a little while on the border as well as a trip to the box... don't count yourself as unlucky, you put on the uniform the same as we all do, that's what matters. Besides, if Hillery or Obama get in, you'll get a chance at Darfur for sure.... same **** different pile.

1991-1996 - US Navy
Norfolk, VA - USS George Washington (CVN 73)
Mayport, FL - USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55)

Took some time off and then...

2005 - Present - US Navy Seabees (reserves)
NMCB 26
2006-2007 - Afghanistan
Currently with NMCB 14

Should have stayed in...would be retiring in a few years.:mad:

Lot a USN guys on here. I was apart of a JTF mission a while back. I had an ITC as my NCIOC. He called us Army guys "Shipmates". My gut feeling was that calling someone that wasn't a good thing. Care to elaborate?

Sounds like the Army equivalent of a "Super Troop" or a "Bravo Foxtrot"

MULE said:
Lot a USN guys on here. I was apart of a JTF mission a while back. I had an ITC as my NCIOC. He called us Army guys "Shipmates". My gut feeling was that calling someone that wasn't a good thing. Care to elaborate?

Sounds like the Army equivalent of a "Super Troop" or a "Bravo Foxtrot"
Actually it's a common term, with no derogatory connotations I'm aware of. Being an airdale (aviation community) it was always kind of weird, particularly in my squadron of planes with no tailhooks (hence no carrier landings), that the term was used regularly. It was usually meant as a reminder that we were all supposed to be working towards a common task or goal, and even the little tasks by the lowest ranking sailors were important to the overall mission and safety of everyone aboard.

ma2brew said:
Actually it's a common term, with no derogatory connotations I'm aware of. Being an airdale (aviation community) it was always kind of weird, particularly in my squadron of planes with no tailhooks (hence no carrier landings), that the term was used regularly. It was usually meant as a reminder that we were all supposed to be working towards a common task or goal, and even the little tasks by the lowest ranking sailors were important to the overall mission and safety of everyone aboard.

Right on. Thanks for clarifying

I've been dealing with fleeters, bubbleheads and flyboys calling me "shipmate" for 16 years. I usually smile and remind them I'm a God Damned SEABEE and even though I wear a Navy nametag...these boots don't float....

Ooh Rah Dirt Navy!

Bad Shark Brew said:
1991-1996 - US Navy
Norfolk, VA - USS George Washington (CVN 73)
Mayport, FL - USS Leyte Gulf (CG 55)

Took some time off and then...

2005 - Present - US Navy Seabees (reserves)
NMCB 26
2006-2007 - Afghanistan
Currently with NMCB 14

Should have stayed in...would be retiring in a few years.:mad:

I'm in 25, you spend anytime down at JTF North last year?

Seabee John said:
I'm in 25, you spend anytime down at JTF North last year?

Nope...missed out on that fun. Spent my time in Trash-can-istan with JTF Spartan. Got to work for the 10th Mountain, until the Marines showed up and I had to give up my cushy tent for a sleeping bag under a Humvee until we could get a couple strong backs built.

Been wearing a uniform since 1986.

Army Infantry from 1986-1992, did some time as a Drill Sergeant.
Joined the New Mexico Air Guard in '92 and became an SP.
Drifted into Intelligence and waited 3 years for a school slot, got tired of waiting for that and joined the AF Reserves and became a Medic, worked a while at the Zoo before I went back to NM and back into Intel.

Crossed over to the Dark-Side and commissioned in 2001.
Been an Intel Officer ever since.

Deployed all over ranging from Korea to SWA.

Currently doing 10-months in SWA with 89 days till I go home and start brewing.

Bad Shark Brew said:
Nope...missed out on that fun. Spent my time in Trash-can-istan with JTF Spartan. Got to work for the 10th Mountain, until the Marines showed up and I had to give up my cushy tent for a sleeping bag under a Humvee until we could get a couple strong backs built.

Way too much fun for me... I was down in columbus for a few weeks tward the end of that project (for us) and way after the havoc! must have been fun, off roading with buses and rolling pickups!

Anyway... built my fair share of strongbacks as well... I was on the original JTF-160 in cuba in 95... put up an insane # of them. worked on a few in Icrack as too.

2002-present
Air Force
A-10 Avionics Technician

Edwards AFB, CA(F-15's)
Osan AFB, Korea(A-10's)
Spangdahlem AFB Germany(A-10's)
Currently deployed Bagram Afgan.

1979 to Present:

Canadian Navy PA (formerly Sigs)

Lots of domestic postings, and
Croatia 93
Rwanda 94
Bosnia 98, 00, 04, 05
Afghanistan 06, 08

Just in case...
Hoo Rah for me!
Picked up Chief (E-7) first time around. I'm so looking forward to being done with initiation. wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back