Midwest pumpkin ale brewing right noe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckabrewski

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a batch of Midwest pumpkin right now. Im using libbys pumpkin pie mix. I let it caramelize at 400 for 40 min then threw it in a 5 gallon paint strainer from home depot. I let it mash with the grains @ 155 for 30 min. Its got a nice burnt orange color to it.

image-3035077444.jpg

Mash is usually 60 min with base grains but gains starch/sugar conversion. It(conversion) can be reached withing 30 minutes though possibly.But sounds like you were steeping crystal/color type grains? I used their recipe as a base in one of my first pumpkins, should turn out pretty good!
I just brewed up my third pumpkin,cant wait,but can at the same time because, you should age some of them , my first ever 3rd batch pumpkin i just tried yesterday @ 8 months bottled was unbelievable and comparable to a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin- which im definatly going out to get a few more again.
Color looks great give it a month and in bottle- then ready for the season..
Oh and depending how much you carmalized, i scraped it all- i got a harsh taste for the first month but it completly faded thereafter.It was ok but i like aging ok beers as most of them go from ok to holy crap!

jonmohno said:
Mash is usually 60 min with base grains but gains starch/sugar conversion. It(conversion) can be reached withing 30 minutes though possibly.But sounds like you were steeping crystal/color type grains? I used their recipe as a base in one of my first pumpkins, should turn out pretty good!
I just brewed up my third pumpkin,cant wait,but can at the same time because, you should age some of them , my first ever 3rd batch pumpkin i just tried yesterday @ 8 months bottled was unbelievable and comparable to a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin- which im definatly going out to get a few more again.
Color looks great give it a month and in bottle- then ready for the season..
Oh and depending how much you carmalized, i scraped it all- i got a harsh taste for the first month but it completly faded thereafter.It was ok but i like aging ok beers as most of them go from ok to holy crap!

Nice I'm looking forward to this one I'm deploying in a few months and everything I have left over will be waiting for me when I get back

I have a similar kit in my fermenter at this time. I dropped my pumpkin in for the last 5 min of my boil.

I'm brewing up a batch of Midwest pumpkin right now. Im using libbys pumpkin pie mix. I let it caramelize at 400 for 40 min then threw it in a 5 gallon paint strainer from home depot. I let it mash with the grains @ 155 for 30 min. Its got a nice burnt orange color to it.

I've got the same kit (modified slightly) in secondary now. I didn't steep the pumpkin, just threw it right in.

Going to create an incredible flavor... Just wish I would've not been a moron and added enough water when I racked to primary... I went from 5 gal to about 3 because I underestimated the amount of pumpkin sludge I'd have!

Thanks to that, chances are that this is going to be the greatest beer ever and I'm only getting one case instead of two. I'll be pissed, but you live and you learn. :mug:

mjperry24 said:
I've got the same kit (modified slightly) in secondary now. I didn't steep the pumpkin, just threw it right in.

Going to create an incredible flavor... Just wish I would've not been a moron and added enough water when I racked to primary... I went from 5 gal to about 3 because I underestimated the amount of pumpkin sludge I'd have!

Thanks to that, chances are that this is going to be the greatest beer ever and I'm only getting one case instead of two. I'll be pissed, but you live and you learn. :mug:

I steeped it only because i didnt want to scoop out chunks of pumpkin

Back