Midnight CDA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balanced_Brew

Reaction score
Figured I would post the CDA recipe I've concocted for some feedback if you have it - it uses a Malt Bill I've never been close to before:

Added By:JoelG11
Method:All Grain
Boil Time:60 min
Batch Size: 8 gallons
Boil Size: 10.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%
Projected;
OG: 1.071
IBU: 73
SRM: 40

13 lbs 2-row
5 lbs Munich 20L
1.3 lb Midnight Wheat
1lb Munich 60L
0.5 lb C120
0.5 lb C40

2oz Warrior 60 min
2oz Chinook 5 min
2oz Amarillo 0 min
Dry hop w/something

WLP001 with starter

60 minute boil, 60 minute mash @152.

Any thoughts? Does the MB look too roasty and toasty? I definitely want it dark, so I had to keep throwing more on there to get to 40 SRM.

www.exnovobrew.com

Use dehusked black malt instead or boost the Midnight Wheat for color. Burnt husk is nasty in an IPA.

Good call, I'll up the midnight wheat - I've had a few CDAs with a burnt flavor that I did not appreciate.

I like a little chocolate malt in my CDA. I used 8oz in mine and it gave it a nice subtle flavor.

Looks good! I've been itching to try making one but I've only tasted a few examples of the style. For my tastes I believe that a CDA should have a little roast to it but needs that huge hop flavor/aroma. I tried Hop in the Dark and found it to be far too roasted compared to Armored Fist by Boneyard Brewing which was a beast Imperial CDA. Hope yours turns out good!

Transferred and tasted last night, TG= 1.016, right on target for a 7%, although my recipe changed a lot from what I had up above:

Boil Time:60 min
Batch Size: 10 gallons
Boil Size: 12.7 gallons
Efficiency: 75%
Projected;
OG: 1.071
IBU: 64
SRM: 37

18 lbs 2-row
3.2 lbs Munich 20L
3.2 lbs Munich 10L
1.5 lb Midnight Wheat
0.5 lb Chocolate

1oz Warrior 60 min
2oz Cascade 10 min
2oz Centennial 10 min
1.5oz Cascade 5 min
2oz Amarillo 5 min
2oz Columbus 3 min
2oz Amarillo 0 min

WLP001 with starter

60 minute boil, 60 minute mash @152.

It tasted really good on the transfer, although I think it may be too roasty for my preference too. The hop profile was not as pronounced as I would have liked, but I'll give it time in the keg and try it again in a week or two.

Half pound of chocolate made it too roasty? I've never used that much midnight wheat but I did just brew up the double black ipa from pagoda in Zymurgy and its badass. Has a pound of roast barley and almost a pound of hops (5 gal batch).

I'm curious is the CDA style meant to be roasty to some people while others want just an IPA with black food coloring in it? Maybe off topic. Sorry. But it does kind of address your recipe.

I don't know I prefer mine to be hop forward but I think the style should have some roast! But never more roast than hop.

I don't know I prefer mine to be hop forward but I think the style should have some roast! But never more roast than hop.

Agreed. I want to close my eyes and smell just about the same aroma as an IPA, but then be surprised when I taste the malt/roast complexity in the flavor. Don't want to end up with a porter with a weird hop profile, the hops need to stand out.

To this day the best I've tasted was an Imperial CDA from Boneyard brewing in Bend and it was outstanding. I've also had Hop in the Dark by Deschutes and for my tastes that had too much roast, or at least not enough intense hop flavor. This style is definitely next on the agenda for myself.

Back