Mid brew propane tank catastrophe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHStone

Reaction score
Alright, I decided to brew toda. Mashing an the first 30 minutes of the boil went well, no hitches. At 30 minutes left, my propane tank ran out of juice. I went to the nearest exchange, got my new tank, and came back and hooked it up. However, it wouldnt let gas come out. I went to the station and got another one, saying there was an issue with the first. This one wont work either. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I have never had this problem in any of the other 10 brews. I've uploaded some photos to help troubleshoot. I need to get this solved so i can finish brewing and make dinner for the fiance!

PXEDHBI

BP6xQVy

C8MlqbP

http://imgur.com/a/gqtRv

I don't know what you were going for hop wise but maybe throw in the aroma hops and let them steep for a bit and then chill it and pitch the yeast. Do some troubleshooting before the next brew day. I would start with the propane hose, it looks a little long in the tooth.

That is the old hookups, are you sure you have them tight? Anyway, some tanks have a safety device that shut them down if there is a leak. Try shutting off the valve on the burner side to off, then opening the tank, then turning on the burner valve.

I don't know what you were going for hop wise but maybe throw in the aroma hops and let them steep for a bit and then chill it and pitch the yeast. Do some troubleshooting before the next brew day. I would start with the propane hose, it looks a little long in the tooth.

It was supposed to be an IPA, but i guess if I do this it will just become a pale ale of sorts.

That is the old hookups, are you sure you have them tight? Anyway, some tanks have a safety device that shut them down if there is a leak. Try shutting off the valve on the burner side to off, then opening the tank, then turning on the burner valve.

I recently had this issue with my grill because (unbeknownst to me) one of the knobs broke and the burner was open a bit. this triggered the safety device on the grill and it wouldn't light.

Procedure which worked to reset my safety device on the grill regulator:

Shut off all burners
disconnect tank from grill
wait 10 minutes.
hookup grill to tank
open valve on tank
turn on grill.

hope this helps!

Any idea how far to tighten? as far as I can get it?

I would try shutting off the burner side flow, to see if the tank safety device solution will work. Otherwise, I'd tighten it down all the way, along with shutting everything else down too. Then open it up just a bit.

Complete amateur here, with the screw on the side, I haven't tried that one. My experience is with the safety device. Hopefully that is your issue also.

Latest posts

Back