Microbrewery Advertising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blisterman

Reaction score
For a college project, I'm comparing advertising for Micro and Macro breweries, and I need some examples.

It's easy to find Macrobrewery advertising, but Microbrewery is proving more difficult. So far I've been able to find quite a few British ones, but I'd like to include a mix from around the world. America in particular.

So if anyone has any links to posters, magazine ads, etc. Basically anything graphic, it would be much appreciated.

I think a lot of the micro's don't go into having huge advertiser budgets, and instead opt for internet, label and maybe some advertising in homebrew/craft brew specific magazines, like BYO, Zymurgy and some of those beer and cigar liefstyle magazines.

A lot of the american ones like Stone and Rogue tend to do their advertising with unique and agressive labelling and websites.

Start with the homebrewing mags mentioned above, you should see a few micro ads in there, but also google the micro websites, that will tend to be how they spend their ad budgets online.

Good luck. I'd love to read the finished project.

:mug:

The only TV commercial I can think of would be for Widmer, they are usually on during sporting events on FSN. Not sure if they can be considered a micro brewery anymore though.

There's a local brewery near me (Custom Brewcrafters) which has run a few local TV spots, but I don't see them on their website. Maybe contacting the brewery directly would yield copies of them.

I'm not sure how many other small breweries/brewpubs run local TV ads. Maybe part of your research deals with the fact that microbreweries need to use different media.

I agree with looking into Widmer, they have commercials and print ads. Also, Bridgeport does their share of advertising. One of the best would be "Keep Portland Beered" which is a play on the (locally) famous line "Keep Portland Weird".

I would not classify Widmer or Boston Beer Co. as micro by any means. Craft breweries, yes, Micro by no means. I think i micro brewery is defined as less than 15K barrels a year. If anything they would be regional breweries

Homebrew magazines and beer magazines will be your best bet. I see billboards for Shiner here in Texas, but that's about it. I doubt most micros have too much of an ad budget, especially compared to the big guys.

Maybe comparing Sam Adams to BMC would be make for god research, even if it isn't micro vs. macro. Another idea: how has the craft beer movement affected BMC ad messaging?

Back