MFL Washers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRyderr

Reaction score
Do you use these when you are making a metal to metal connection?

I bought my CO2 system used and the P.O. didn't have any of them on the metal connections (swivel nuts to the MFL valves on the manifold). I don't seem to have any gas leaks anywhere. Tank has been holding pressure just fine for the few months that I've had it. Nothing detected with leak check solution..

I was just looking online at buying more fittings. I see these washers listed and the site says that they're required with the flare fittings. I've done a reasonable amount of plumbing with flare fittings, brake lines, etc, and have never used a washer. Different metals I guess? Plumbing would use copper, which will deform and seal against imperfections better? SS probably not so much give? The washers are dirt cheap it looks like. Just wondered if they are really necessary?

These are the washers I'm referring to:
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843414.htm

I use them on all metal to metal flare connections, I've had leaks without, even if slow and hard to notice. The plastic ball/pin lock disconnects have their own built in equivalent, and if you have a plastic threaded flare adapter like John Guest or Duotight they don't seem necessary.

Our flare fittings absolutely require something compressible to effect a seal. Quick disconnects typically incorporate a captive gasket, and John Guest, Duotight, and DMfit PTC adapters with a 1/4" FFL end are malleable enough on their own (I just installed around 40 of the things and leak-tested all of them without using an additional washer).

Pretty much any other connection requires a separable nylon flare washer...

Cheers!

Back