Mexican Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
My first all grain brew as well as my first attempt at crafting my own recipe (actually combined a few recipes I found online with a few tweaks). Came out remarkably good. Fermented at 52 for 7 days, brought to 63 for 2 days back down to 52 for a few days while I went out of town, then kegged and put on 12psi for 7 days. Thinking it will get clearer and even better in the coming weeks.

5 gallon
6.6 lbs 2-row pale
2.2 Vienna
1.6 lbs quick grits
4 oz corn starch
10 oz agave

Mash 151f

1 oz Tettnang 60 min
1 oz Motueka 5 min

WLP-940

OG 1.062
Fg 1.014

Flavor very good but a little alcohol taste, thinking it will mellow out.

IMG_0257.JPG

Curious - why the corn starch?

It’s another substitution for corn. I was out of flaked corn and low on grits so I improvised. Papizan in the ‘Joy of Homebrewing’ talks about using starch instead of corn. In the mash the end result is the same. Although the starch has a higher efficiency.

Update: after a couple weeks in the keg it really improved. It’s actually a Mexican Lager with taste that even they wife likes. And at 6% it has a bit more kick

This reminds me . My wife is on me about brewing one again .
2row
vienna
Flaked corn
Caravienna

Attachments

• 20190606_191725.jpg
    20190606_191725.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Update: Taste and clarity greatly improved after aging a bit.

The SRM is 4.0 (according to beer smith).

Thank you for the info! Doing a Mexican lager shortly and brewer's friend has it at 4.26. I was worried that was going to be too dark but nope. I think it'll be good. How'd the agave come through in your recipe? Would you increase the 10oz or no?

Thank you for the info! Doing a Mexican lager shortly and brewer's friend has it at 4.26. I was worried that was going to be too dark but nope. I think it'll be good. How'd the agave come through in your recipe? Would you increase the 10oz or no?
The Agave didn’t come through at all. I think either add more to try and get a little flavor out of it or leave be and just use as a abv boost.

The Agave didn’t come through at all. I think either add more to try and get a little flavor out of it or leave be and just use as a abv boost.

Definitely not doing it on this one at all, but maybe on the next one. I like agave in certain beers. Trying to recreate the City Lights Brewing Mexican Lager. Funny thing is they use the same hops you used in your recipe - Tettnang and Motueka with a dry hop of Motueka.

Back