Mexican Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jtrux

Reaction score
My first all grain brew as well as my first attempt at crafting my own recipe (actually combined a few recipes I found online with a few tweaks). Came out remarkably good. Fermented at 52 for 7 days, brought to 63 for 2 days back down to 52 for a few days while I went out of town, then kegged and put on 12psi for 7 days. Thinking it will get clearer and even better in the coming weeks.

5 gallon
6.6 lbs 2-row pale
2.2 Vienna
1.6 lbs quick grits
4 oz corn starch
10 oz agave

Mash 151f

1 oz Tettnang 60 min
1 oz Motueka 5 min

WLP-940

OG 1.062
Fg 1.014

Flavor very good but a little alcohol taste, thinking it will mellow out.

IMG_0257.JPG

OP
J

jtrux

Reaction score
Curious - why the corn starch?
It’s another substitution for corn. I was out of flaked corn and low on grits so I improvised. Papizan in the ‘Joy of Homebrewing’ talks about using starch instead of corn. In the mash the end result is the same. Although the starch has a higher efficiency.

Update: after a couple weeks in the keg it really improved. It’s actually a Mexican Lager with taste that even they wife likes. And at 6% it has a bit more kick

OP
J

jtrux

Reaction score
Update: Taste and clarity greatly improved after aging a bit.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The SRM is 4.0 (according to beer smith).
Thank you for the info! Doing a Mexican lager shortly and brewer's friend has it at 4.26. I was worried that was going to be too dark but nope. I think it'll be good. How'd the agave come through in your recipe? Would you increase the 10oz or no?

OP
J

jtrux

Reaction score
Thank you for the info! Doing a Mexican lager shortly and brewer's friend has it at 4.26. I was worried that was going to be too dark but nope. I think it'll be good. How'd the agave come through in your recipe? Would you increase the 10oz or no?
The Agave didn’t come through at all. I think either add more to try and get a little flavor out of it or leave be and just use as a abv boost.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Agave didn’t come through at all. I think either add more to try and get a little flavor out of it or leave be and just use as a abv boost.
Definitely not doing it on this one at all, but maybe on the next one. I like agave in certain beers. Trying to recreate the City Lights Brewing Mexican Lager. Funny thing is they use the same hops you used in your recipe - Tettnang and Motueka with a dry hop of Motueka.