Methods for shipping empty cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boodlemania

Reaction score
Hey all. I may have the need to ship some empty corny kegs in the near future and wondered what the best (cheapest) shipping method might be.

Boxed, unboxed?
Fedex, UPS, other?

Any help would be appreciated.

Slap an address label on the outside of the keg and ship it. That would probably be the cheapest. Of course, the outside of the keg may get scuffed up a bit. And I would attach the lid to the rest of the keg w/a zip tie. But any of the big three (UPS, FedEx, USPS) will allow you to ship one this way.

Brian

Sure you can ship it that way. I have gotten large pipes with the label slapped on from ups. I think you just have to waive the $100 damage coverage.

no, UPS will ALLOW it, but will charge an extra $8 per keg if shipped with out a BOX.

I need to call again and confirm because the gal I spoke with seemed a little out of the loop.

a keg is a cylindrical object and thus an "odd" shape according to UPS if the kegs were square things would be different.

to the OP.. go down to UPS Store with a bare keg and ask how much to ship this. then ask if it were boxed if it would make a difference.

since I ship with my UPS account I have no idea what I am getting charged until my bill shows up. I've had several items bill with an extra charge because the shipper didn't box them up and I end up taking the hit for it.

-=Jason=-

to update per UPS STORE shipping an unboxed corny is $5 more than if the corny is boxed.

from Az to NY $31 in a box its $26

-=Jason=-

Back