Method to calculate BIAB efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
I'm looking for a formula that I can use to calculate my brewhouse efficiency. I'm afraid I've been playing with this for a while now, but haven't figured out how to actually work this out.

My brewing method doesn't seem to fit well with software or online calculators. I do some weird stuff, so forgive me. Here's my brewday:

• Mash with 6.5 gal
  • Lose about a 1 gal depending on grain bill and how energetically I squeeze the bag
  • Top up to 7 gal
  • Boil for 60, usually lose about 1 gal depending on weather
  • Lose some in kettle (trub)
  • Top up to 6 gal if required

Hope someone can help!
Cheers

I'm looking for a formula that I can use to calculate my brewhouse efficiency. I'm afraid I've been playing with this for a while now, but haven't figured out how to actually work this out.

My brewing method doesn't seem to fit well with software or online calculators. I do some weird stuff, so forgive me. Here's my brewday:

• Mash with 6.5 gal
  • Lose about a 1 gal depending on grain bill and how energetically I squeeze the bag
  • Top up to 7 gal
  • Boil for 60, usually lose about 1 gal depending on weather
  • Lose some in kettle (trub)
  • Top up to 6 gal if required

Hope someone can help!
Cheers

U mean this will not work for U?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

Hi,
Curious...What size pot do you have?

I use and only ever used this calculator and it is spot on.
http://tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

You put in your recipe and start with a guess on your brewhouse efficiency... I would use 75%
It is key to start with the correct volume specified and finish up with the correct gallons to hit your numbers.
The great thing about this calculator is you can use it in reverse adjust your volumes and efficiency to so it will match you real efficiency, you can then use that data for you next brew.

Make sure you always grind the same, squeeze the same, etc.

I can usually hit the OG the calculator states.

thanks Kevin

Thanks for the responses guys.

So I guess what I'm asking is, with all those water additions that I do, it doesn't change the efficiency calc at all?

I cant do full volume beginning to end, I only have a 7.5 gallon pot.

brewhouse efficiency is mash only. Boil has nothing to do w/it.

While the above comment is true, the amount of water boiled off or added to the wort will change the OG number drastically.

In you case, When using the linked calculator use 7 gallons to start and end with 6 gallons.
With a repeatable process, grain crush, squeeze, boil rate, etc you should be able to hit your numbers spot on after a few tries.

I sort of do the same process the OP states when I mash with 12 gallons, the grain soaks up about 2 gallons and I sparge the bag with about 3 gallons added back to the kettle, then start the boil with 13 gallons and end up 11.5.... clear as mud ? :)
But again, my numbers are spot on to what tastybrew says when I use 13 gallons to start and 11.5 ending volume ... and my brewhouse effeciency is 78%

thanks Kevin

I don't understand any of these details.. How much grain did you use and what volume of what gravity went into your fermenter. That is all that matters. My brew pal app tells me what OG I should end at with my app set to 70% and 5.5 gal. If I end up more or less volume or OG, I just adjust the app to tell me what real efficiency I received.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back