Metallica

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't need them going back to their roots. I already have that stuff. Don't need more of it. After all, I certainly wouldn't want to go back to my routes. I, you know, grew up.

Why can't a band do the same without being lambasted for it?

Based on what I just listened to, they have a long way to go to get back to their roots. :(

Did you even really listen to it?
And by really listen I mean listening to it without a preconcieved notion that its going to suck?
It seems as though most people just refuse to listen to this album with an open mind...

I picked the album up today, its incredible. Best stuff since ...And Justice For All.
Some of the songs are just wicked heavy.
Finally MetallicA is back! :rockin:

Well back "towards their roots" it's certainly more their original sounds then anything including and since the black album.

>.<

what ?

Black was a bad joke, it was Metallica saying - look we can put out crap - a turd of an album and people will buy it ! Its Metallica's "Smell The Glove".

Apparently, we look at music differently. But that's OK... to each his own and all.

They sound like they're TRYING to re-do some of the old stuff; some of those riffs are extremely derivative/self-referential. The problem that I hear is Hetfield thinking that it's a good idea for him to SING. That first tune is pretty brutal...

I have not been able to stomach Metallica since they sold out millions of their own fans. I refuse to listen to them.

Most of this thread is a Metallica bash, and I admit, they're not very high on my list of bands. Anyway...

It was leaked on my local rock station yesterday and confirmed by me this morning that Hot Topic is selling the CD for $5, today only. It could suck totally and I still wouldn't feel ripped off at $5. :)

Did you even really listen to it?
And by really listen I mean listening to it without a preconcieved notion that its going to suck?
It seems as though most people just refuse to listen to this album with an open mind...

I picked the album up today, its incredible. Best stuff since ...And Justice For All.
Some of the songs are just wicked heavy.
Finally MetallicA is back! :rockin:

agreed. i'm loving the album so far.

I listened to everything they have on the website and even $5 is a rip off. I guess I've just outgrown the sound they offer. It happens with all the bands I've liked at one time. Look where Pantera went right after Vulgar... horrible.

Call me a d!ck but I don't think the new album is anything near comparable to their old stuff. Sure they have some "old-school" syle riffs, but thier lyrics and Hetfield's singing style is way different than any of the Justice and earlier albums. Maybe it's just evolution, but not everything evolves for the better.

Call me a d!ck but I don't think the new album is anything near comparable to their old stuff. Sure they have some "old-school" syle riffs, but thier lyrics and Hetfield's singing style is way different than any of the Justice and earlier albums. Maybe it's just evolution, but not everything evolves for the better.

Dick! just kidding

I love the new record. I've loved Metallica since 1986. If wasn't for them, I wouldn't be a guitar player.

Newstead was good.....but let's not forget about Burton.

met burton about 6 months before the accident. he was truely a great normal nice guy. had a chance to have a beer with him(even though i was young) had no clue who he was as i wasn't a metalica fan but my buddy was so much on metalica's you know what it was crazy. and anyway after napster i banned them except for pre black

K so I 'aquired' the new album the other day, just to listen to it. I am pretty sure I'll end up buying it. It really is like their older stuff, lots of noise and speed riffs. Hetfield still feels like he needs to SING, and that's still kinda irritating. For those of you that said you listened to it and hated it, did you go off of your hatred of the Load and Reload albums? St. Anger was also a steaming pile of gutter¢unts, but I listen to each album with an open mind. I couldn't even get through St. Anger.

You guys crack me up. The two biggest complaints I hear from people about bands who have been around a long time are either "All their albums sound the same" or "their music has changed sooo much over the years.....they sold out". If they still had the same sound they did back in the 80's/early 90's I bet you guys would be complaining that all their stuff sounds the same. I'm sure you'll deny this, but I believe it to be truth.

+1000
Metallica's first record was in 1983 for g-d's sake.

I don't think "All their albums sound the same" is a valid criticism though. Well maybe it is to some, we are talking about personal tastes here after all.

But to give you an example, AC/DC has a new album coming out I think the 20th of next month. Now AC/DC has been around since 73 - thats a decade longer than Metallica.

What do you want to bet that AC/DC's new album doesn't sound appreciably different from any of the 14 other albums they've made in the past 35 years ?

See there is a real difference between evolving as musicians and just getting better at what you do while staying true to what made you great, and completely changing the style of music that you play that brought you to the point of being successful in the first place.

But to give you an example, AC/DC has a new album coming out I think the 20th of next month. Now AC/DC has been around since 73 - thats a decade longer than Metallica.

What do you want to bet that AC/DC's new album doesn't sound appreciably different from any of the 14 other albums they've made in the past 35 years ?

Right. And Motorhead's songs don't sound a lot different than when they started, either.

But neither Motorhead nor AC/DC have had anywhere near the success that Metallica has had.

Keep in mind also, Metallica basically created metal as we know it today. People talk about Black Sabbath being the godfathers of metal, and I think that's true, but all speed/thrash/death/ extreme metal owes its roots much more to Metallica than anyone else.

In other words, Metallica made their mark on music by changing things up. It would be anti-metallica to stay the same.

I am and always will be a Metallica fun and I say why should anybody really give a ****.
If they are happy with what they are doing then all the power to them.

If they stuck with the same sound that made them popular and they weren't happy with it anymore or they just wanted to make a change since they have matured and evolved wouldn't this too be a form of "selling out"

I've been checking out an "acquired" copy of Death Magnetic and I must say it has surprised me... As someone who got really pissed off with the whole Napster fiasco and shook his head at how pathetic they were in "Some Kind of Monster", I was expecting another St Anger. Truth is that the raw guitar is there again, and even though I hate to admit this, Lars' drumming is actually really good on a lot of the tracks. At the very least it's nice to have a Metallica album that's not as over produced as a Britney Spears album...

I downloaded Death Magnetic last weekend. I gave it a fair trial and listened to every song once. I then deleted it and vowed never to give Metallica another chance.

Well to be totally honest, I really like the instruments, but James needs to fade away or start drinking again

I don't need them going back to their roots. I already have that stuff. Don't need more of it. After all, I certainly wouldn't want to go back to my routes. I, you know, grew up.

Why can't a band do the same without being lambasted for it?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

So let say Metallica is coming to your town and you landed tickets to the show. Would you rather hear their older stuff or newer stuff?

For me, I could listen to Kill em All all day long. St. Anger, not so much.

Death Mangnetic rocks.

So let say Metallica is coming to your town and you landed tickets to the show.

I'd probably sell my tickets :D. I suppose that stems from the fact that during the Justice tour I watched a guys eye get kicked out of its socket, some ********* throwing M-80's into the crowd, feeling like at any given moment someone was going to fight (fight circles kept breaking out the entire concert), and then in the end everyone shouting "Die Die Die Die" under Hetfield's direction.

Is it just me or is Metallica getting out-Metallica'ed by pretty much any grindcore/metalcore/hardcore/BS-core band that gets airplay on the "metal" stations?

It's listening for nostalgia, not because it's new, exciting music. At least Roth, when touring for a *new* album, plays all the hits that made him famous instead of the new stuff. I'll go see Metallica but it's only because of what they where, not what they are now.

On a similar note.....

I was thrilled to hear atht AC/DC was releasing a new album, til I heard the first single.

It has a hint of Old School AC/DC but for the most part it seems to be very cookie cutter and sampled.

As for Mettallica. Meh. Unforgiven was the last decent single I had heard from them. Too soft tho'. I used their last CD as a coaster.

Napster BADDD arm waives in front of chest
Death Magnetic GOOD arm waives in front of chest

the cover looks like a furry pu@@y

Am I the only one that doesn't listen to a band to compare it to what they have already done? I like a band that continues to make new music not the same ole music. It takes balls to remake your sound instead of just sticking to what you know works. Personally I take every piece of music for what it is not what I can compare it to.

Am I the only one that doesn't listen to a band to compare it to what they have already done? I like a band that continues to make new music not the same ole music. It takes balls to remake your sound instead of just sticking to what you know works. Personally I take every piece of music for what it is not what I can compare it to.

True but a band can step out and make a bad decision on the direction their music is going, which is the point I made earlier. I am not personally judging their current music, I lost interest in them shortly after Justice as they seemed to be floundering imho. I do in part base that off their old work...not entirely musically mind you, they started making different statements and it just didn't jive for me.

Death Magnetic is a great album. It doesn't fit their newer style of music. This is the album they should have made after And Justice. For anyone who is judging the album by what you hear on the radio; don't. All Nightmare Long (#5 on the album) is a great song. I do agree though that James' voice has changed quite a bit and it's not like it used to be. It's too melodic. The instruments, however, are amazing. While the whole Napster debacle with Lars pissed me off, being a drummer myself I bow before his skill with the skins.

Wait, you think Lars is a great drummer? I like his stuff from Justice as far as chops go, but it's so far behind the real drumming greats like (ugh, I hate that I have to admit that Pert is more of a role model to drummers than Lars will ever be). No joke, I was covering every Metallica song from Kill em All to And Justice when I was 14. Of course that was when all I did for hours a day was play along to the tunes and practice with my tallica tribute band.

Back to the OT, I can't stand the new album. This whole discussion did get me listing to the older albums and I'm convinced that every album up to and including the Black album has fantastic and horrible tunes on them. I like the overall mix of the black album and I dig that Bob Rock got them to experiment with more overlay stuff to build up the production like banging on skulls and cocking a shotgun. The bass was finally forward in the mix and I only wished the ****** had learned how to fingerpick the damn thing.

In any case, I like Justice best and it would be all that much better if the bass was forward.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgEeTqjXMI]YouTube - Metallica - ...And Justice For All w/ enhanced ORIGINAL bass[/ame]

Dick! just kidding

I love the new record. I've loved Metallica since 1986. If wasn't for them, I wouldn't be a guitar player.

+1 - Metallica is what got me into guitar as well.

Although, it was a slippery slope after black

Latest posts

Back