Metallic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy418

Reaction score
I've brewed about 8 batches, and all have a metallic flavor.

Here's a few recipes I've used and had metallic taste on it. The darker the beer, the more pronounced the metallic flavor. The worst was the Pumpkin.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/thunderstruck-pumpkin-ale-ag-extract-versions-26699/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/nierra-sevada-session-snpa-clone-27673/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/gerald-fitzedmund-porter-ag-48053/

I brew all grain, 3 gallon batches. I originally used the brew in a bag-stovetop technique. I've graduated to a five gallon rubbermaid cooler (the kind you see at kids soccer practice) as my HLT. I mash and batch sparge in the cooler. I boil in a 5.2 gallon stainless steel pot. I ferment in a 5 gallon food grade bucket, with my Ale Pail (all came from my original starter kit), and sometimes secondary in a better bottle. I use Iodophor to sanitize.

All my batches, the brew in a bag and the HLT AG ones, have had a metallic off flavor--some worse than others. The only constant is the brew pot, but it's stainless steel.

Any ideas HBT??? Thanks!

How's your water, lots of iron in it? How long do you ferment in the primary for? How long in bottles and/or kegs?

I'd definitely try to get some information on the mineral content of the water you are using. In hard water areas sometimes you have to dilute your water with reverse osmosis or distilled to cut down on the base minerals.

I know you say metalic, but a few people have traced off flavors to the Iodophor. Try Starsan for a batch. It could be a combination of things like your water and the Iodophor.....

Re iodophor: ive used starsan and
and still had the metal taste.

Re the water: I've had the same problem w water in two different places--buffalo ny and Ann arbor mi. I hear they're both good for water purity.

I so use a Brita water filter. Would that do anything?

Here's what the BJCP study guide has to say :

Metallic off-flavors in your beers are perceived as the taste of a rusty nail, or coin-like, tinny and blood-like. One source of these off flavors is from aluminum pots or other un-plated steel surfaces. High iron concentrations in the brewing water can account for some of these flavors as well. When stainless steel is cleaned without passivating the surface (oxidizing to produce a layer of protective oxide on the surface) the unprotected steel can also cause off flavors. Check the quality of your bottle caps, filter your water if necessary or use bottled water if you must, and keep all of your grain stored under proper conditions to prevent or reduce the coin-like off-flavors in your beer.

How's your water, lots of iron in it? How long do you ferment in the primary for? How long in bottles and/or kegs?

I've got licenses in water/wastewater treatment (expired by now, but the knowledge remains) and that was my first guess. Hard water can cause off flavors in everything from coffee/iced tea to cooking.

I have hard water here too and Ive found that using an old Magnalite pot (if you haven't used Magnalite before check garage sales) will help the taste of your stove brewed tea immensely.

As for the beer...I can't say since I haven't brewed my first batch yet..but I assume it'd be the same principle. :)

I'd personally try a batch with Spring or Drinking Water from the local grocery, if the problem persists then check your pots and other areas.

...I use Iodophor to sanitize....

I quit using Iodophor for that very reason. I also have high iron, hard well water, but the only time I've had that metallic taste was with Iodophor...

(I know you said you still got the taste with Starsan, but I have not).
For me, the metallic smell/taste/flavor with Iodophor was very pronounced-maybe I'm more sensitive to it?

Latest posts

Back