Metallic taste in several of my beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TristanL

Reaction score
I've noticed a metallic tinge on the finish of a few of my beers. This includes a blond ale, pale ale and hefe all with varying degrees of this off flavor that I've brewed with 100% source water (forced through a carbon activated filter).

Here is my water profile:

Calcium = 23
Magnesium = 5
Alkalinity as CaC03 = 73
Sodium = 13
Chloride = 26
Sulfate = 15
Water pH =8.7

Ruling out other issues: Metallurgy:

I use an aluminum pot for heating water, but never let it get over 170 degrees. I boil in a modified half barrel (stainless steel).

Ruling Out Sanitation Issues:

I strive to keep my equipment clean. I'm far from perfect, but I try to be very thorough about my cleaning and sanitation. I scrub and soak all my carboys in PBW immediately after use. I rinse them out and visually inspect for debris. Star san is used immediately to sanitize and I put an airlock/bung in place filled with sanitizer. I sanitize again just before transferring wort in to the carboy.

After fermentation I keg the beer. The kegs all get soaked in PBW for 24 hours or more. Before use all the fittings are removed, sprayed out and I spray san star into the fittings, dip tube and sanitize the entire inside.

Ruling Out Mash pH:

I've been using Palmer's spreadsheet to determine the mash PH with salt additions. I've used pH test strips and the mash PH has been in the target range after being adjusted for mash temps.

Conclusion: If I rule out sanitation,metallurgy and mash pH issues it leads me to believe this is a water chemistry issue. I believe I'm tasting this metallic tinge in my beer because my house has old plumbing (galvanized). Do you think this is the cause? What would you fine brewers recommend? Do you think I just need to cut all my beers with distilled?

"""""I believe I'm tasting this metallic tinge in my beer because my house has old plumbing (galvanized)""""""

Well, what does your tap water taste like by itself?

Good question. I'll taste it out of the water safe drinking hose when I get home tonight.

First, I tried my water from the faucet inside. It was fine.

Then I went outside. Water from the spicket outside has the metallic taste. Bingo!!!!!

Before we bought our house the kitchen was redone. All new plumbing with C PVC. The water pipes that go outside are original. This makes perfect sense now!

Thanks you guys. This teaches me a lesson in troubleshooting: look at the most simple things first.

Plan: Use water from my faucet in the kitchen for brewing water. I'll try to post results when my next batch is complete. Plan to brew a hefe on Thursday. Should have results in 5 weeks or so.

Might want to check out Palmer's list of off flavors: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors. I had the same thing happen to my stout... but only certain bottles. Weird, huh?

He claims metallic off flavors are usually caused by high levels of metals in the wort.

Sounds like your outside spigot might be leaching metal from somewhere. I'd use the inside tap, as long as it isn't softened.

I use an aluminum pot for heating water, but never let it get over 170 degrees.

Have you EVER boiled in that pot?? That might be your problem. When using aluminum, you need to boil in the pot for a bit to form a layer of oxydation on it.

... and boiling in aluminum is not a problem (just because you seemed to say you never do as a reason why it can't be the pot). There are 4.9 million posts/threads on this site talking about aluminum and boiling in a aluminum pot is not going to give you off flavors.... as long as the pot as been "conditioned" first... and that is for ANY use of an aluminum pot.

Back